Restoration tips

you could have put the b/b tool in the vice and turned the frame
this works well sometimes

First dumb question: you know that the right hand BB thread is left handed?

Beyond that, PlusGas is way thinner than GT85. Give it a good dose every day for a week - if you can leave the frame so that it pools over the thread and has hours to seep in then so much the better.

Also heat shocking works well - a quick blast with a blowtorch is often enough to crack a bond. Of course you will be careful about the fire hazard of PlusGas and blowtorch.

After that, controlled force with the BB tool secured to the BB axle and a hooooooge lever (scaffolding pole works for me), and jobs a good un. But the emphasis is on controlled.

Penetrating oil is available at most hardware or DIY stores. Really is great stuff. Gave me so much help on a severly stuck seatpost, just left it soaking for 3 weeks and left it at that. When the post came out you could see how far along the stuck post it had worked its way down (about 80%). Would defiantely be worth a try.

Got both free and off now ta, I took it to work and got a longer bar on the lever to free the bb, I had soaked it with coke but I don't know if this had any effect. I did the same with the spacers holding the forks in place. Once I noticed a small gap appearing between them I used a wood chisel to lever them apart then a bolster chisel to get them off. The forks are actually ok and un-damaged but the paint is a bit of a mess, which is why I'm changing them. Thanks for the advice everyone. Now to build it up again using the bits I've got left over! :D

Back