Gazelle Champion Mondial

The stem's remaining half is still stuck in the steerer. They're bonded for life. :LOL: I'll use the soda method and be done with it.

The rear brake is dissembled for cleaning. Brake pads holders are also stuck in there. Another steel-aluminium bond? Hope not!
CampaAthenaBrakes04.jpg

Got a longer Allen key and a good grip on the brake body. Here's the rear brake completely disassemble and ready for a good "scrub".

CampaAthenaBrakes05.jpg

jCymbal":1efn8acv said:
The stem's remaining half is still stuck in the steerer. They're bonded for life. :LOL: I'll use the soda method and be done with it.

I think I would drill a hole in the outside remaining bit of the stem, so I could put a screw driver through it for leverage. A than would put it upside down (away from the paint) in the bath. Sometimes take it out and try to rotate a bit with the screw driver.

Some parts are like new again... some still show the age. Regrease and assemble now.

CampaAthenaBrakes06.jpg

What's with all those washers on the brake fixing nut? I think I remember only seeing the serrated one (the one on the middle of those three on the left) on exploded diagrams... Anyone knows?

Found that diagram (click for bigger version):

does anyone knows why the front brake takes two of these washers (No 21 on that diagram) and the rear only takes one? I still can't understand how those washers stop the brake from rotating...

Probably the calliper would have touched the headset, so with additional washers they tried to undo that. I have often encountered multiple washers at the front. Of course it look most tidy if you could use two or three the same Campag washers.

I'll keep that in mind when I assemble the bike. Have to check how's the front brake regarding extra washers. Thank you! :cool:

So, what were these extra washers doing in that rear brake? :?

Maybe the rear allen nut was a bit on the longish side and reached the end of the threads before tightening the brake. Could be solved with a washer.

Back