ASSOS Rims

Image not showing unfortunately (well, not for me at any rate :cry: ) Looking forward to seeing the frame, sounds great.

EDIT - it's appeared now!! Looks terrific - has he got any more!?

Stick to the Brooks Pro saddle, lots of Italians used them. Are there any decent Italian Leather saddles?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Leeh wrote:
also some Glue. Now this should be fun, I'Ve never fitted tubs , I've heard that if you haven't fitted them before , you could get in a right mess, is this true? I dont want to make a right pigs ear of it.

It's not properly retro, I suppose, but I always use tub tape rather than glue. I have a selection of makes:

IMG_7749.jpg

Maybe French Jantex is the closest to original, and right for a French frame. One roll=2 wheels £3-4...Good retro packaging too ;)

Velox and Nutrak sell a very similar product, but personally I use the Tufo extreme, which sticks like s*** to a blanket straight away, and has the plastic carrier tape, which makes it far easier to use than the paper systems...a bit more expensive though (1 pack = 1 wheel £6 ish).

Plenty of YouTube stuff on fitting tubs... www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUlFn4lpFQo

All the best,

Hello Dan, thanks for that!
I did see some YouTube post on fitting tubs, what ever happens I'll give a go with the tape, it certainly looks easy enough
Did you say my Alan is french? Alan's are pure Italian (Alberto Falconi) is owner of the company, unless you were whining me up :LOL:

Sorry. of course Alan is Italian. :shock: I always get them mixed up with the Vitus 979 Duralinox frames.

mmm...I don't know any Italian tub tape...it'll have to be Vittoria glue instead ;)

All the best,

I have now got those super champion wheels, one thing I did noticed was how slim the Rims are, I put a ruler on them, inside dish looks to be about 15mm, out side edge to edge 20mm, I have never had experience with tubs, the tyres I have, 'Schwalbe Milanos' that Dan suggested are 22mm,

Will these fit OK ?

Leeh,

Your 20mm rim width is probably about right for a 22-23mm or larger tub. Remember that the rim doesn't go 180 degrees around the tyre. Because they don't have the hooked flanges of a tyre rim, the tub rim actually covers less of the tyre section than a conventional rim.

With tubs, the rim width has less effect than normal tyre/inners, where the rim width affects the shape and cross section that the tyre/tube forms. Even the 2.2"/56mm mountainbike tubs around now are fitted to only 25mm wide rims.

With tubs, the most important measurement is the diameter of curve of the tyre seat. You should find that a circle approximately the size of your tub cross section ie 22mm should sit nicely on the curve of the rim tyre seat without any gaps, allowing for the thickness of any adhesive. Try a mountainbike handlebar, 1" quill stem, wedding ring, or 7/8" 22.2mm copper pipe. Alternatively, pump up the tub a little and offer it up to the rim section to check. Don't worry about the pressure turning it inside out. It can take full pressure even off the rim.

If the tub is too small for the rim, there wil be gaps at the sides. This stops the glue/tape working at the sides, and the tub can roll. The tubs will also be far harder to get sat straight. Fit the tub on the rim without adhesive and see what it looks like, a sheet of paper should be a nice tight fit in the gaps around the sides.

Less serious is a big tub on a small rim, where the centreline of the tub isn't in contact with the rim, but there's still not really enough adhesive in contact to be safe.

This is why, even though those Assos rims were really narrow at 16mm wide, the curve of the tyre seat was still shaped to take up to a 22mm tub.

I hope that helps....All the best,

Back