New member with a new project

I haven't really decided what I want. I'm just a Johnny Come Lately into this world trying to work out what's best. I don't want to trash a valuable and rare machine but neither do I want to polish a turd.

I like the idea of painting the frame myself but fear that an amateur's attempt would be insubstantial in terms of protection let alone appearance !

J.

Nowhere, really. I'd just like to find out what the best thing to do would be from people who know more than I do.

Yours,

Jolly

With all the information given so far, and Raleigh's numbering system, I would reckon on an '89 build - the forks especially look like an 80's style and the rest of the bike looks unlike the late 70s/early 80's W serial number Raleighs I have owned. It also looks an awful lot like my '86 Lightweight Division Raleigh. '89 would also make the decals and headbadge correct for the era.

Thanks for that.

So powder coating is not liked by some because its Incorrect for the year, heavy and too thick to reveal details in the lugs. Paint, however, is more appropriate, revealing and delicate.

So, I suppose it matters if the bike's meant to be a rider's machine, or faithfully restored show bike. I want to make a functional robust and nice looking bike.

J.

Raleigh.

Repainting properly should be durable - unless the owner is either clumsy or careless - I have biycles owned from new (over 20 years old, that have done lots of miles and the paint is still superb...maybe not like new but 98%.

And the cost difference of course.

This is my final comment on this thread.

Roadking.

I had my frame and forks powder coated. II know that this isn't everybody's choice of finish but it was done cheaply, locally and before Christmas so I'm happy enough.

qohis1.jpg

The coat's not too thick so the detailing on the lugs is still clearly visible.

2mchqaw_th.jpg

Although the lugs aren't as pretty as some I've seen.

2qtwh92_th.jpg

27ziszt.jpg

jutwg4.jpg

I thought I'd go for the mid life crisis Tonka Truck colour scheme.

10h59vo.jpg

Jolly

Back