Restoration tips

MIKEYBOY

GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just bought a '99 spesh FSR that I have now stripped down to use as a hack so I don't ruin my Zaskar. Three problems:-

The bottom bracket is stuck in, I've managed to get the ring out at one side but can't release the body at the other.

The forks are stuck in, the shims appear to be bonded to the steerer.

The frame is ally and it has oxidised underneath a bit.

Any tips on how to remove the first two, I've tried spanners, gt85 and hammers, I'm not bothered about keeping the bb or forks. Apart from sending the frame away to be treated and powder coated is there a cheap fix that will stop the rot from spreading?

Ta.

restoration

I have thought about a bigger hammer, we have a 50t hydraulic press at work but I dont want to damage the frame. Are some penetrating oils better than others?

It's the spacers that are holding the steerer in place, there's 3 of the buggers and they're not moving at the moment!

coca cola is your friend
and plasticine

make a cup with the plasticene around the stuck item and then pour some coke in it leave over night and it should do it's magic

just think what it does to your guts

Had a stuck BB in my Hahanna frame last week.

got the BB tool and an old crank bolt and washer that was large enough to cover the hole but not the hex head and bolt the BB tool on tight.
Then I placed the other end of the BB axle (square taper) in my bench vice.
A large socket with 3 foot lever bar saw it's resistance broken pretty sharpish.
Only difficult thing was keeping the frame from wobbling in the vice (square taper is not ease to grip) but if it have been any harder I would have just got an assistant.

The right tools for the right job wins everytime.

Carl.

Back