Campagnolo 8 Speed on 9 Speed rear mech?

Uncle Buk

Dirt Disciple
No doubt this has been answered elsewhere on the forum, but I wanted an informed opinion on whether it is it possible to run a Campagnolo 8 speed wheelset and ergos with a 9 speed rear mech?

In particular, I was thinking of early-mid 90s Chorus or Record.

Any advice gratefully received.

Buk

If the question is whether an 8-speed drivetrain will tolerate a 9-speed rear derailleur, the answer is yes. Should work fine, since the 9-speed derailleur requires more precise positioning and is consequently built to finer tolerances. You really only have trouble if you use an older derailleur with sloppier tolerances (like a pre-indexing derailleur).

Toff, that's exactly the question I was asking so thank you for your answer.

I wanted to check that given the different spacings of cogs on 8 speed and 9 speed cassettes, will the rear mech shift without any problems?

Buk

It depends on the 9 speed mech - they changed the amount of cable pull needed halfway through the product run, early ones will work perfectly with 8 speed, later ones not so well, although you could get lucky.

If you have a search on google there is some information about on how to identify which rear mechs will work and which won't. Sorry ot's not an easy answer!

will different kinds of campag 9 speed work together?

say 9 speed centaur cassette, chrous cranks and 9 speed veloce ergos?

just thinking the best bang for buck used mixed groupset

Thank you for everyone's replies.

After a little extra research, the general opinion is that pre-2001 9 speed rear mechs work with 8 speed drivechain/gears but after that the actuation ratio of the mech was changed by Campagnolo.

I've not come across anything definitive on the subject. However, the suggestion is repeated across different cycling forums.

Buk

Only significant difference is length of jockey wheel bolts, and the thickness of the jockeys themselves.

I've run 9-speed mechs with 8-speed ergos, and vice-versa with no problems. You may find a little more chain-noise when crossing the chain, but that should be about it....

Latest posts

Back