Single Speed Project - Old track frame

ninety":1rwbo5d3 said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one done - I like the mix of modern components with a retro frame, should look really smart

Thanks for the kind words. I've almost finished building it so I will take a picture in daylight and upload for you all to have a look at.

Things still to buy are;

Grips
Brake Outer
Chainring
Chain
Tyres / Tubes
Chain Tugs
Pedals

I've got a Campagnolo seat pinch bolt on its way that I paid far to much money for but I liked it.

Luke.

ninety":14op2n02 said:
For what it's worth...

Nice chainrings here, if you've not already seen them:

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopcrank.html

And www.hubjub.co.uk for everything else.

(If it's not already in your shop of course!)

Thanks. I have spent many hours perusing the Velosolo website. I will probably get a chain ring from them as none of my suppliers really do them apart from stronglight which are good but not what I want.

I currently have a CAD designer working on some bespoke designs including chainrings that I will be getting made up to sell through my shop! Watch this space....

Luke.

I couldn't resist taking a picture of the build so far and uploading it for you all to have a look at. Picture quality isn't great (iPhone) but you'll get the idea.

Luke.

2010-4.jpg

Update - 24/01/2011

Progress on the project has been a little slow over Christmas but now that is out of the way I've made a start again.

My latest purchase is a VeloSolo 1/8" 44 tooth chain ring and a Shimano DXR 18 tooth sprocket.

This combo will give me a ratio of 64 inches which is a little smaller than I would have liked but it's a good starting point for my first venture on to single speeds. 80 - 90 rpm will equate to 15 - 19 m/ph. I can easily spin 100 rpm plus so I'm not too concerned about high cadence.

On order is a 1/8" Gold KMC chain and then all that remains is Grips, Tyres, Tubes and chain tensioner.

Luke.

photo.jpg

I was having a sort through some of my spares last night and I came across these (pic below) I think they're circa mid-80's Campagnolo possibly early 90's.

I think I will get them polished up and then I'll build them into a set of fixed wheels for this project so that I have the option to run SS or fixed. I'm not sure of rim choice yet but I do quite like the look of the 40mm carbon/alloy rims on eBay for £95. They're made in China so it might be a bit risky buying them so I'll investigate further before parting with my cash.

photo-1.jpg

Quick update - 08/02/2011

I've got a pair of tyres on the way in a matching black/white colour scheme, they're Schwalbe Lugano's, which aren't the best tyres but I'm not going to be racing this bike and they look ok.

I've cut the bars down from 600mm to 540mm so that the width is a bit closer to what I have on a road bike.

I also decided that the Mavic hub on the front wheel needed replacing due to slight bearing play, generally looking old and it didn't match the rear Shimano Ultegra hub.

I picked up a 36-hole Shimano 105 front hub on eBay for £14 and promptly de-badged it so that it matches the rear (rear already de-badged). I spent a few hours stripping the front wheel down and then I re-built it with the new hub. It was quite an easy job as the Shimano flanges were almost the same size as the Mavic and it was built radial so lacing only took 10mins. An hours worth of truing and stressing the wheel produced a nice straight wheel ready to slot back into the bike.

All that remains now is a pair of bar grips and the tyres fitting when they arrive. I will take plenty of photos of the finished bike and upload.

Luke.

Back