Update..Cheque on way...got knocked off my bike

i ride from whitleigh to uni every weekday and there is just total ignorance.

every day without fail (emphasis on that) i will have a near miss or similar.
i ride on the pavment for a lot of the way and also get downright ignorant people. one guy the other day, saw me coming, staring straight at me, just stood there. and i often get abuse from pedestrians and/or motorists.
argh, it frustrates me so much!

im considering buying one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290499397023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

although it seems a novelty at first, considering what i go through each ride, its becoming a serious option.
what can you do aye?!
as someone said on here before, driving is a privilege not a right as most drivers would like to think.

when im on the pavement, i understand fully that im not meant to be there (although its not enforced) and im on cycle paths alot of tha way/ so i give way to pedestrians, its their path not mine, but i just dont feel safe on the roads. and i never get a nod or a thanks etc. when i do so for pedestrians or motorists or when giving way. maybe one nice driver or person a month.
i havent even started driving yet but it would be a fair assumption of mine that i know more highway code than a lot of drivers in plymouth.

as silverclaws said, citybus are pretty good, they generally give me *enough* space (not a car width though, but more than most). bloody handlebar skimmers.
police round here are quite loyal to the job too which does help somewhat in most cases

my mate crashed his 125 bike just outside transit way the other day and not one car/person stopped to help him :evil:

oh this isnt rant over. just have to keep it to myself now! :LOL:

hope your ok anyway bud. if you need any parts in the meantime i might have it :? ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
ernie":27wsh0ax said:
silverclaws":27wsh0ax said:
The driver has not reported it because it probably means he wiill get the push, as who knows what other stuff he has had to report, might have a history. But by not reporting it within six hours as per company policy, he has stuffed himself up.

But if he loses his job, it is not the end of the world, for he can find something else he is more suited too.

Oh and one other question, it was not the number 2 bus was it ?
cant remember bud
Signs of a bit of concussion, there?

;-)

I am from the North, not a native to these parts and when I used to come here as a kid, it used to amaze me the pedal to the metal driving attitude around here. I was told back then that the revs had to be kept up for all the hills around here, understandable with lower powered cars as was back then, but now, no excuse, cars are more powerful than they were, yet, it is still pedal to the metal and tunnel vision all the way, except for the grockles who seem to have a head like those nodding dogs one used to see in the back of cars, their head swings around so much from side to side, rarely to the front.

Anyway, I am going to get a van soon, hopefully a white one so people will stay clear.

Oh, and the last time I had a van, I rescued a cyclist in a thunder and lightning down pour, with serious head wind, so bad, when it gusted, it slowed my van and took control of my wiper arms. He was struggling in his lycras and lightweight road bike, not in a very good way, so, it was a brew , chuck his bike in the back and took him home, he were shivering all the way and that was with the heater on full bore, first stages of hypothermia I thought.

But the cycle lanes in Plymouth are no good, because the sodding buses share them, and they are the absolute worst out there, well, First group anyway. But just to think privatisation got us them, we have been robbed ! The hoppas from the past were excellent.

watch pic

my poor watch.. :cry:

Attachments

• insurance claim 009.jpg
    insurance claim 009.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,347
Seikos are usually tough watches as well !

I have the Kinetic Sports 100, which is my second Seiko Sports 100 since the last one got stolen. I don't like battery watches, I do like automatics, so the kinetic is somewhere in between, currently, it has lasted eight years and is covered with dings and scratches, even the mineral glass on the front has a chip taken out of it.

silverclaws":1g2zdyau said:

I have the Kinetic Sports 100, which is my second Seiko Sports 100 since the last one got stolen. I don't like battery watches, I do like automatics, so the kinetic is somewhere in between, currently, it has lasted eight years and is covered with dings and scratches, even the mineral glass on the front has a chip taken out of it.
I've been a fan of Seikos for some time - like their rough and ready, yet decently constructed 7S26 movement, and as for Kinetics, I have several, I've even got the induction charger for them.

What I would say, is the Kinetic movement is interesting, appeals to the geek in me, but truly is a solution looking for a problem.

In all the Kinetics bar the latest I've got, I've had to replace the capacitor (Seiko supply an upgraded part, which is really a Li-ion rechargable cell).

The idea of it, I guess from inception, had the downsides of a mechanical auto, with the flakeyness of some early component choices (ie the capacitors) which left you with a watch that didn't deliver on the "never needs a new battery" idea and also has the mechanical maintenance overheads of traditional mechanical automatics - perhaps more.

I've got one with a stuck generator mechanism - not sure if it would be easier to service a 7S26 mechanical auto.

All that said, though, I still think Kinetics are cool - they just don't make any real kind of sense.

And Seiko make some fine watch movements - and in some examples, some very fine watch movements.

I would claim for everything. Take your bike to the LBS and get it assessed for everything, from gears, wheels,etc to frame allignment. If they can't say it definitely isn't bent, then you may be able to claim for a complete bike and kit. It might sound a bit extreme, but it wasn't your fault, but it is your inconvenience :evil:

Neil":1du1c80a said:
silverclaws":1du1c80a said:

I've been a fan of Seikos for some time - like their rough and ready, yet decently constructed 7S26 movement, and as for Kinetics, I have several, I've even got the induction charger for them.

What I would say, is the Kinetic movement is interesting, appeals to the geek in me, but truly is a solution looking for a problem.

In all the Kinetics bar the latest I've got, I've had to replace the capacitor (Seiko supply an upgraded part, which is really a Li-ion rechargable cell).

The idea of it, I guess from inception, had the downsides of a mechanical auto, with the flakeyness of some early component choices (ie the capacitors) which left you with a watch that didn't deliver on the "never needs a new battery" idea and also has the mechanical maintenance overheads of traditional mechanical automatics - perhaps more.

I've got one with a stuck generator mechanism - not sure if it would be easier to service a 7S26 mechanical auto.

All that said, though, I still think Kinetics are cool - they just don't make any real kind of sense.

And Seiko make some fine watch movements - and in some examples, some very fine watch movements.

Kinetics are noisy though,or is that the automatic function, that big weight that slings around under it's axis ?

I can do jewellery, but watches, I keep well clear of, though I have been offered the training in horology, I see it as useless regards the everything is electonic in watches and those that don't wear them, depend on their mobile phone for the correct time, perhaps more accurate rgan any watch can be.

Back