Raleigh 531 C-Luxe Seatpost size ?

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
I have pretty much gathered the parts in preparation for the build but am un sure of the seatpost size for this one, It a 1989 531 C-Luxe from the lightweight division, pic of actual frame below

Cheers

GM :cool:

046.jpg

I've got a '92 Raleigh with a 531 frame and the seatpost is 27.0mm, if that helps. It depends on the gauge of the tubes, because some 531 frames use a 27.2mm seatpost.

Tony Oliver in his book said that the actual fit is 27.4, but usually some distortion during brazing occurred and so 27.2 was typical.

What a nightmare! How is anyone supposed to find out the correct size? My old Evans in 531 had 27.0 but I only know that because that's what they told me when I bought it. Otherwise I probably would have shoved a 27.2 in it. Is it just a case of trying different ones until you find one that feels just right? Sounds like I might need a collection of old cheap seatpins if I start buying up old frames.

Digital calipers work for me.
They were selling them for a pittance at LIDL, alternatively how about the LBS?
My mid 80's Raleigh Record Ace 531C I seem to remember had a 27.2 post. Weren't the singled butted 531 frame 26.4 & 26.8 and the rest 27.0 or 27.2

Thanks for all your suggestions chaps, I have both these sizes and I will try at the weekend and let you know the result.

Cheers :cool:

Latest posts

Back