Lemond's 1989 Bottecchia

Lemond.

Hi bro :) ,

I was humbly trying to help.

Frame size is merely my opinion...in all my contemporary images (it doesn't look like a 22").

With regard to Lemonds career, whether it be with Renault, La Vie Clair...etc, these I did not think needed to be convered within the context of the original question, neither did I feel the need to make a point about sponsors demands (my company used to sponsor a pro cycling team), or the TVT framesets

If I have any questions in future about TdF history I'll naturally direct them to you.

Oh, here's one; what was they name of my friend who was in the ANC Halfords squad in the 1987 Tour de France?

Roadking.

Re: Lemond.

roadking":tg3l1yl6 said:
Hi bro :) ,

I was humbly trying to help.

Frame size is merely my opinion...in all my contemporary images (it doesn't look like a 22").

With regard to Lemonds career, whether it be with Renault, La Vie Clair...etc, these I did not think needed to be convered within the context of the original question, neither did I feel the need to make a point about sponsors demands (my company used to sponsor a pro cycling team), or the TVT framesets

If I have any questions in future about TdF history I'll naturally direct them to you.

Oh, here's one; what was they name of my friend who was in the ANC Halfords squad in the 1987 Tour de France?

Roadking.

lol oh i do detect more than just a little sarcasm in your retort there!!
now anc halfords - let me see - steven swart? shane sutton? malcolm elliott? adrian timmis? the legendary joey mcloughlin? they were all in the 87 tdf weren't they?

...BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOUR FRIEND WAS!!! HEE HEEE

tony capper?

("BOOOOO!!! HISSSSSS!!!!")

rusty :LOL:

Here are my observations in relation to whether this is a genuinely Greg Lemond's 1989 TDF Bike.

I will begin with a picture of Greg in the 1989 TDF as posted on Bikeradar.

1283255451493-110klqxckp68y-950-75.jpg

1) It was typical to write the rider's name on the top tube back in 1989, so that the mechanic would setup the bike correctly, and give each rider the correct bike. Where is "G. Lemond" written on the Ebay frame???

2) Notice the seatstays in the above photo are painted red, not Chrome!!!

3) Do an image search of Greg lemond, and you will notice that he rode a San Marco Regal saddle. The rivets of the Regal saddle can be seen shining in the above photo. I'm not sure what saddle is on the Ebay bike, but to me it looks like a Selle Italia Campionissimo, not a Regal.

4) Look at the decal on the seat tube above the Bottechia name. On the Ebay bike I see blue, then red, then black, then a white rectangular box with writing. I assume this is a "World Champ" decal of some sort, to celebrate Greg Lemond's Rainbow Jersey. Now look at seat tube above. I see what appears to be an Italian flag set of stripes, not a "World Champ" sticker. Apart from the fact that a bike team would be unlikely to bother putting a new decal on a bike halfway through a racing season, Greg won the 1989 Tour de France a good 3 months before he became world champion!!!

In addition, the word "Bottechia" seems to be completely absent on the seat tube in the image above.

Bottom line...
It aint the same bike.

The seller is either an idiot or a crook. 'Nuff said.

LOL BRILLIANT!!

ten out of ten for observations!!

oh and can i just add for the previous commentator on greg's frame size...

SEE THE ABOVE PHOTO - LOOK AT THAT WEE HEAD TUBE - THERE'S NO WAY THAT'S A 23" FRAME!!

par excellence!

rusty :mrgreen:

and here's the cincher, folks...

THIS EBAY BIKE HAS A PUMP PEG ON THE INSIDE OF THE HEAD TUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HILARIOUS!!!

IT'S A BIG FAKE!!

wow, how appropriate...! ;)

rusty :cool:

Old Ned":2gz0mii2 said:
He also rode carbon framed bikes in '89 at times but I have found a photo of him on a red and white bike.

The photo posted above is the one I was thinking of. The one on sale is possibly in to good a condition for a well used tour bike, seemingly a lack of 'patina'.

Lemond's Bike.

I agree with Toff...about the hookey provenance!

But, I have a copy from Winning, Bicycle Racing Illustrated magazine from (Jan/Feb 1990, p55), featuring Greg's TVT Carbon.

Here's the spec, and I quote -

Frame: 55cm (c to c)
Tubeset: carbon Kevlar
Headtube angle: 73
Seat tube angle: 72.5
Crank: Mavic 631, 175mm - 53/42 rings
Derailleurs: Mavic, F; 862 R; 851
Shifters: Mavic 820
Brakes: Mavic 430
Hubs: Mavic 556/28h
Freewheel: Regina America 12,13,14,15,17,19,21
Chain: Sedisport Pro
Rims: Mavic Mach 2CD2
Tyres: Vittoria CX front, CG rear
Headset: Mavic 305
Stem: Mavic 365 12.5mm
Bars: Cinelli 66, 44cm
Seat Selle San Marco Rolls (white one in the magazine pic)
Seapost: Sun Tour XC
Pedals: Time
Tape: Bike Ribbon
Bottles: Cobra
Cages: Elite

Weight: 18-19lbs.

Accompanying this spec is a lengthy interview with Lemond about his bikes. One comment he makes, and I quote,"I don't like steep angled nervous bikes, they tend to make you overreact, and they wobble at high speeds, something you don't want during a 60mph descent in the Tour".

"Lemond"is seen on two sides and at the back of the seat tube (top), the word"Maillot Jaune"appears at the front end of the top tube with Lemond on the downtube and"GL"on the headtube...this appears to be his World's bike as I picture of him at the World's accompanies the bike pic and the spec. Greg in this pic is alongside Raul Alcala (in national jerseys).

We all know what an awesome descender Greg was.

The same edition features specs of Fignon's(Raleigh)and Kelly's(Concorde).

I wish some of us wouldn't get so excited - we're all supposd to be buddies here!

Roadking.

Interesting detective work going on here :D

I'm a big fan of the '89 Tour - in fact, it's what started me racing. I still have my ADR-Bottecchia team winter training top (which I'll hopefully wear for a retrobike meet !)

The signed photo is certainly from the last stage of the 1990 Tour, more than 6 months after Greg left ADR. I guess 'Ken' was the trainer at ADR, or perhaps at Z-Peugeot. I suppose Greg could have had it lying around in his garage in his French home, and needed to get rid of it ?

The pump peg is possibly suspect, although there does appear to be a race number stud.

This could just be one of the spare bikes. I'm sure no-one from the ADR team would know whether Greg actually rode this or not. He may have punctured and ridden 1/2 an hour on this, who knows ? 20 years ago, the teams couldn't afford numerous identical machines, like they do nowadays. His 'spares' probably doubled up as training bikes too...

This the TVT that he rode in the hilly bits:

1989-18th-tappa-la-vittoria.jpg

As for the eBay seller - his history so far seems to be some false teeth and a canoe paddle !

It's shown here too: http://www.bottecchiasale.com/ although it's simply a link through to the same auction.

Some more photos of similar bikes too (most with pump pegs):

http://rocka1bikeshop.blogspot.com/2008 ... ntage.html

anyway, lunchbreak over, back to work....

He's posted more detail in an answer about the authenticity:

Just brought the bike home from the shop today. Team 89 is etched in rear derailleur, both hubs and both crank arms. Team ADR Bottecchia decal on top tube. Carnelli handmade 80 years in sports 1909-1989 decal on down tube. Columbus steel Frame serial #4769 and TSX and 55 are all stamped on bottom bracket. If 55 indicates seat tube length, that corresponds with what I describe as a 56cm frame when measured along seat tube from center of bb to center of top tube . Crank arms 175. Vittoria Corsa cx tubulars. 54/44 chainrings. 12-21 rear sprocket. Time pedals. Selle Italia la Fausto Coppi leather saddle #1178. Mavic handlebar 351 measures 42cm from bar end to end (center to center). Standover height appears to be 80cm. Top tube length 54cm. Bike appears on cover of a book titled "Greg LeMond's Complete Book of Bicycling" isbn 0-399-51594-1 Pedigree Books, Putnam Publishing Company. I have a LeMond poster from the 89 tour signed by Greg "Ken, Hope you enjoy my bike. Greg LeMond".

Back