Coolwall Nov 2010 - Campagnolo MTB groupsets

Coolwall Nov 2010 - Campagnolo MTB groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M E S S A G E - F O R - F U T U R E - R E T R O B I K E R S!

IF YOU READ THIS THREAD 50 - 100 YEARS FROM NOW (2010)
AS A RESEARCH SOURCE, TRYING TO DETERMINE WHAT WAS POPULAR, IN, COOL, DESIRED IN GOOD OLD DAYS OF MOUNTAIN BIKING
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT BITH

NOBODY HAD CAMPAGNOLO
NOBODY WANTED CAMPAGNOLO
NOBODY LIKED CAMPAGNOLO
NOBODY CARED ABOUT CAMPAGNOLO

POSITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THIS GROUPSET HERE ARE BASED SOLELY ON RELATIVE RARENESS, CURENT COLLECTOR VALUE AND ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE CONTEXT OF ITS ORIGINAL ERA.

GREATINGS FROM THE PAST

Capin

CAPIN":7iuia8w3 said:
M E S S A G E - F O R - F U T U R E - R E T R O B I K E R S!

IF YOU READ THIS THREAD 50 - 100 YEARS FROM NOW (2010)
AS A RESEARCH SOURCE, TRYING TO DETERMINE WHAT WAS POPULAR, IN, COOL, DESIRED IN GOOD OLD DAYS OF MOUNTAIN BIKING
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT BITH

NOBODY HAD CAMPAGNOLO
NOBODY WANTED CAMPAGNOLO
NOBODY LIKED CAMPAGNOLO

POSITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THIS GROUPSET HERE ARE BASED SOLELY ON RELATIVE RARENESS, CURENT COLLECTOR VALUE AND ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE CONTEXT OF ITS ORIGINAL ERA.

GREATINGS FROM THE PAST

Capin
And also, if you're reading from the future...

The concept of "cool" (be it peurile, specious or otherwise) has practically nothing to do with most of the factors listed above...

hydorah":3khu6ewe said:
1988_Ben":3khu6ewe said:
Campag's compact chainset methodology definately puts them on a cool wall

That ad is a lovely bit of bicycle engineering p*rn!

When is that ad dated? I notice the inboard lock ring holding the the inner and middle ring on and the smaller diameters with great interest...

The add is from a Mountain Bike Action 1992.

Yeah, the lock-ring was interesting. They probably used the same ones as on the BB cups. But to hold both inner and middle is unusual. The drive-side crank looks nice, but the spider seems like an unfinished design ? I mean, they already made single chainring cranks (Record Pista) so they could have made an MTB version of this with the splines/lockring for 2 more rings. It just looks like something a bit home made, if you see what I mean. I don't know if this design was ever popular - I only saw Euclid/Centaur cranks which were the more traditional type with outer/middle ring on the spider.

I do have the Icarus crankset. With my normal bb tool I can't reach the lockring properly, because of the shape of the rings. It possibly requires a specific tool by Campag.

We all wanted the Campag chunky grey plastic brake levers after seeing them (on David Baker's bike I think) in MBUK circa 1991. One of us went out and got a set and I remember them being spongy and useless as well as chunky and grey. Useless but looked good (in our eyes). Cool - Yes, but I was glad they weren't on my bike...

Love it, have it on my yeti:

y0i3e3.jpg

Have a box or three full of it:

yw64sz.jpg

Loved it from day one, even the early Euclid. It was designed and made with true Italian exuberance and style, but, as with many vintage Italian things that look really well presented (ie fiats, fascism, organised religion), people make the mistake of actually trying to use it. Don't.

It ticks all the cool boxes for me, especially when lined up against shimano or suntour. The great thing is while the others look, feel and operate as if they were made by precision robots and machines, campa looks and feels as if it was hand made by an artisan with a glass of wine in one hand and a ciggie in the other.

pete_mcc":3cwggbru said:
Love it, have it on my yeti:

y0i3e3.jpg
I love it too :shock: :shock: :cool: :cool: :cool:

CAPIN":3cwggbru said:
NOBODY HAD CAMPAGNOLO
NOBODY WANTED CAMPAGNOLO
NOBODY LIKED CAMPAGNOLO

and it's why campy is cool :LOL: ;)

Back