WANTED LEFT HAND ELECTRIC (sorted)

The Ken":ha61wbw2 said:
If you can't play yet I would recommend a right hander - I put my lefty kids on one and they are fine - Mark Knoppfler got by ok that way too.

it's not quite that simple, it depends on the player.

I'm right handed, but naturally a left handed guitar player. However I was taught right handed due to a lack of availability of left handed 3/4 size guitars and I can't help wondering if my playing sufferred as a result.

However, 30 years later, it's a bit too late to learn!

NickD":1u8yu3c6 said:
However I was taught right handed due to a lack of availability of left handed 3/4 size guitars and I can't help wondering if my playing sufferred as a result.

That was one of the reasons we switched my son over - that was only 4 years ago but things are a bit better now.

In the case of guitar think most of the issues are psychological more than ergonomics - brought on by being told what handed we are. You however Nick are an anomaly :)

er we are left or right handed some more than others. we lefties use our brains in a different way too it's not just about what hand you use.....plenty of books on the matter............i refuse to give up being left handed. There has been a lot of cruelty in the past with kids being punished for using their left hand.my dad was one. WE are different. ;) any way these days there are so many guitar makers , making them now...........i would say search out a left handed teacher............otherwise you may miss out on the 'artistic' left handers way .......because their brain is being forced to do it another way . Unless your ambidextrous. I would say though that left handed peoples writting as a rule is shoddy..........and cheque books can be a problem, but you can request left versions of those too :D

:? I don't get all the fuss..

Some people are "more" lefty than others.. I can't understnad finger placements on a fret board righthanded.. but i can invert them for lefty... I even route my brake cables the wrong way round I think.. Lefty's are more artistic supposedly..

Anywho..

Schecter do some cracking lefty guitars ;)

Starting play right handed guitar upside down as I'm lefty when I was 11.

Part of me does wish I'd gone to a righty BUT learning to play left handed has its advantages. Watching someone else play guitar makes it very easy to mirror what they are playing when you are learning from music vids, someone else or playing in a band.

These days, I can play lefty, righty upside down and even right handed a tiny bit.

I truly believe left handed people are more creative than righties, all the lefties I've played with (including those who play right handed) just have something extra that's hard to explain.

Just remember, the Latin for left is 'sinister', that is because you are all evil freaks who should be burnt.

I say all us righties should demand left hand drive cars so that our right hands are on the gear sticks doing the complex work...

Back