1993 KHS Montana Pro, virtually catalogue spec :D

FluffyChicken":53n7bdmn said:
Oil and air is waiting if you want them to have a quick freshen up and set for you weight (sod all) and riding style (soft and genital).

Them there Canti's look like Shimano Alivio whatsits or similar, not Diacomp.
Ignore what the pads say on them.
I'll soft your genital in a minute :twisted:

Yeah the forks will need a fettle to get them set up right for me & my sick to the power of rad riding style :LOL:

I'll check the brakes, and report back later about the actual spec of em

Andy B":3p98z1ra said:
Pickle I may well take you on on that offer, your refurb looks pretty good, have you ever serviced them or is Fluffychicken a better bet for that?

Not actually serviced, as they were fine when I got them apart from needing a pump up. If yours need a squirt of air I have a pump.

As for the condition, the paint was seriously flaking. So, I just sanded them down and painted them up. The paint is Hammerite which is an exact match to the RS gold, and damn robust so easily withstands knocks and scratches.

Cheers for the help & info

I will need to adjust the forks to my weight once it's fully built. It's in bits at the mo as I have a few new parts arriving so I'll be giving the frame a good clean & polish with car wax

I'm still looking for a few parts for this build to go back to catalogue spec, but most of the stuff that's arriving is period correct & will do the job until I get the correct parts together

I bought one of these back in 93 and it was a great bike. I stripped it and used the parts to build up my Yo Eddy in 94/5 and put the frame in the loft. Pulled it out a couple of months ago and have rebuilt it as a retro / modern. New XTR brakes, original xt front mech, xtr 950 rear, Middleburn duo cranks, Chris King bb and headset and a set of Hope hubs on 717 Mavics and Pace Air force race PC38's with 60cm travel. I had the frame shot blasted and powder coated as it had some surface rust and was looking very tired.

It rides like an absolute dream and is currently my bike of choice for single track around the Surrey Hills.

All that said, I still have some of the original parts in my bike boxes. I know I have the black Zoom bars, the stem, the original flat pedals with KHS straps, the Bontrager Ti saddle, the Xt sti levers, and maybe the seat post. I think I still have the original Xt hubs on the bontrager rims as well although I would have to double check on this.

If any of this is of interest, let me know and I will have a look / dig it out over the Christmas break

grd":382l4a9x said:
I bought one of these back in 93 and it was a great bike. I stripped it and used the parts to build up my Yo Eddy in 94/5 and put the frame in the loft. Pulled it out a couple of months ago and have rebuilt it as a retro / modern. New XTR brakes, original xt front mech, xtr 950 rear, Middleburn duo cranks, Chris King bb and headset and a set of Hope hubs on 717 Mavics and Pace Air force race PC38's with 60cm travel. I had the frame shot blasted and powder coated as it had some surface rust and was looking very tired.

It rides like an absolute dream and is currently my bike of choice for single track around the Surrey Hills.

All that said, I still have some of the original parts in my bike boxes. I know I have the black Zoom bars, the stem, the original flat pedals with KHS straps, the Bontrager Ti saddle, the Xt sti levers, and maybe the seat post. I think I still have the original Xt hubs on the bontrager rims as well although I would have to double check on this.

If any of this is of interest, let me know and I will have a look / dig it out over the Christmas break
:cool:

There's quite a few KHS's popping up at the mo on here.

Good to hear that you've upgraded yours with some high quality bling!

I would certainly be interested in any of the original parts that you have left, I'm looking for the wheelset, bars, pedals, rear mech & possibly seatpost I do know someone who wants a Bonty Ti saddle (Lewis1641 who is building a '94 KHS Montana Team)

Do you have any pics of your bike?

I will have a look over the Christmas break and dig out all the parts I have.

As for photos of the bike I have not taken any yet as I only got the new wheelset on Friday. I will get some done and post them up.

I'll have to find the 'show us your khs' thread again- it needs resurecting

mini update

NOS '94 Kalloy seatpost fitted, decals are a little worn, but looks good on the bike

Starting to swap drivetrain & cabling as I'm fitting the M095 shifters (Thanks Dave) and starting out as a singlespeed until I can get a rear mech and cassette

I have been shown something very, very shiny for the bike too. You can stop now Si ;)

Quick weight check in @ 26.6lbs without pedals

Also discovered that the brakes are '94 Alivio, so I may be on the hunt for something more appropriate soon

I'm liking the look of the '94 M737 brakes over the catalogue correct '93 M734's

Is there any performance difference between the two brakes?

SPD pedals PD-M737 if you go that way are a hefty 1.14lb to add on so err...
modern cheap lightweight spd compats are around 300g so 0.66lb

Back