I have a theory....now with 650b content

Re: .

Grannygrinder":ut3z6lqt said:
Andy :D how are you measuring the offset? If it was a motorbike I would use a level/straight edge to continue the angle of the headtube in a straightline down towards the front spindle. Then measure, on the horizontal, from the spindle centre to the level/straightedge which would give me the offset?
Does this sound right? :D
If its right the offset of the P2's is approx 45mm, which isn't a million miles away from ideal i think?
Basically right, but the offset should be measured normal to the line through the centreline of the headtube, which will give you something more like 41mm offset. I think (although I could be wrong) that those P2's are designed with 38mm offset.
Grannygrinder":ut3z6lqt said:
The bike rides nicely at the moment. If the 29" doesn't suit I may stick with how she is now and start saving for a Singular :D

Well, all this stuff is a bit suck-it-and-see anyway, so the only way to tell if it's for you is to try it, as all this theory (mine and anyone else's) is very subjective. As Dr S says, I wouldn't worry about slackening the angles a degree or two - you can compensate for a lot of that with small saddle position and bar height changes and I've never had any problems with toe overlap on any converted 69er. I don't have big feet, mind.

I personally think that the ultimate handling depends on the combination of head angle and trail - a friend of mine is trying a converted Dialled Bikes Love/Hate (with 440mm P2's) and while it rides well enough, and he finds it an improvement with the 29" wheel, it just doesn't have that certain "je ne sais quoi" that the Hummingbird has (I should be on commission ;) ). The head angle is steeper and it's running with more trail and it feels at the same time more "nervy" and yet less responsive.
Sounds a load of bollox, I know.... :roll:
You can see from the photograph that the offset seems more noticable with the Singular forks (or maybe not...).
However, I could go on about steering geometry all night, given the slightest encouragement, but it's ok, I'm not going to ;) .

I'd stay with decent volume tyres front and rear - I wouldn't compromise tyre choice for what little difference it would make to the geometry.

Attachments

• Hummingbird-03.jpg
    Hummingbird-03.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,265

Mmmm..offset does semm to be slightly more raked out on the Singular fork. Having said that your chainstay appears to be running up towards the BB?
I'm going to give it a go, but i'm thinking a fork closer to 420mm may be the way forward :roll:
V nice :cool: Singular by the way ;)

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2f2opohm said:
Mmmm..offset does semm to be slightly more raked out on the Singular fork. Having said that your chainstay appears to be running up towards the BB?
I'm going to give it a go, but i'm thinking a fork closer to 420mm may be the way forward :roll:
V nice :cool: Singular by the way ;)
Thank you :)

The lack of BB drop is only an illusion - I've just measured, and with the EBB set at its highest position (which is sort of where I like it) bottom bracket drop is about 30mm, so about 35mm or so to the nominal BB centre.

Anyway. it's whatever it ends up being, as the frame and forks are specifically designed for each other - the forks aren't the same as those on the 29ers (which are longer). The Hummingbird was designed from the ground up to be a 69er, with the option to use suspension forks and a 26" wheel if you want to (but I never have wanted to :cool: ).

Can you stop bigging it up now please, i feel a purchase coming on :D :D :D
As you say, i'll suck it and see. If I don't like it i'll turn it into something else :D

I went across town to Charlie Cunningham's house awhile ago to take some publicity photos for the OWMTB. Here is one of myself and CC with his personal bike. You'll notice it has a 29er front end on it. He said he built the longer fork and bigger hoop a few years back and put it on his original frame meant for 26" wheels to get a little more cush in the rigid front end, and he likes the result! Pat

Attachments

• CC+Pat1-1.jpg
    CC+Pat1-1.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1,031
OMG! I think i need to go and sit in a darkened room somewhere.

A 29er wheel on a 'ham. Thats like painting some headphones on the Mona Lisa. Shocked!

There are no headphones on the Moaning Lisa???

I knew I was burned!

Andy. Stop showing that Singular, I don't need to be buying bikes right now and it is making my fingers twitchy!

:)

Dr S":1j8s387a said:
OMG! I think i need to go and sit in a darkened room somewhere.

A 29er wheel on a 'ham. Thats like painting some headphones on the Mona Lisa. Shocked!
Yeah, Dr., but the painter in this case is the original builder! Charlie says the bike handles great and I see him riding it around town and in the woods here all the time!

Ahaha...the plot thickens.
Maybe if it doesn't work in my modern frame i'll try it on one of my older ones, with a steeper headtube, and hope that works :D
Jumping the gun a bit i know :roll: but i think a shorter fork will be in order.

Back