Mystery Bike Challenge! Can you Identify?

hydorah":1q6w5cvy said:
Charlieboy28":1q6w5cvy said:
as for the quality thing, i know bitd a friend had a british eagle bmx, crap components but the frame made my burner look very ordinary ( which it was, but i oh so loved it)

but while googling found this British eagle which looks very tasty

Wow. That's a sexy Frameset

a british eagle boss, originally XTR equipped with rigid forks at £999.99

The Boss frames came in red and yellow, later on came the polished versions.

Yours is similar to many models sold at the time, my Peugeot was the same as yours with the pulley for the front mech.

B.E. also rebaged ALAN frames for their carbon model.

p10202101_823.jpg

Another beauty

legrandefromage":2tgpg9cr said:
The Boss frames came in red and yellow, later on came the polished versions.

Yours is similar to many models sold at the time, my Peugeot was the same as yours with the pulley for the front mech.

B.E. also rebaged ALAN frames for their carbon model.

You guys are going to have to stop digging up these pictures of British Eagle branded cool things!

As an antidote: http://road.cc/content/news/5934-asda-pulls-ad-cheap-bike-after-front-forks-fiasco

- Britsh Eagle are a Falcon brand now, since when? I don't know, but I guess there won't be any more cool stuff!

That's very interesting about the pug frame - however in this case I think the pulley is a user/LBS hack to allow the use of a bottom pull front mech

The pulley is on an allen screw which doesn't match anything else that was on the bike and it's diameter is too great for the space between the rear stays, so its actually bearing (off centre) on the rear stays them selves, and it certainly can't rotate at all. I know that's not necessary for function but it really is a horrid little bodge

I'm going to get a top pull mech out of the parts bin and do away with that pulley

Re: Another beauty

i like the comment in it...
“Very quickly I wished that British Eagle had concentrated on getting three gears right rather than making 18 substandard ones,” she said. “Every time I went over a speed bump I changed gear; even on the flat there was always an irritating clicking sound which spoiled every ride. On the scale of annoyance, it was rather like being at the cinema and having someone kick the back of your seat all the way though the film.”

She found numerous faults with the bike, including a rear wheel that was out of true, a front wheel ‘that wasn’t round’ and a rear derailleur that hooked onto the axle, rather than bolted straight to the frame, “making it almost impossible to adjust the gears properly.”

which reads as " i have no idea how to build a bike from a box and didn't realise gears had to be set up, i am amazed my brakes work"[/quote]

a generic areto frame
as sold worldwide with different decals and little tweaks

they do ride nice tho

OI! LGF you stole my pic
maybee i should do a jerky type watermark

mikee":1u7us5di said:
a generic areto frame
as sold worldwide with different decals and little tweaks

they do ride nice tho

I'm keeping an open mind. The welding is so much better than my Zaskar!

Which is making me wonder if it wasn't UK made by the actual British Eagle guys

I don't think you'd get many frames done in a day if you weld the way this B. E. has been fabbed up...

Take a look:

Zaskar L.E.

DSCF1756.jpg

Pretty good, nice and even:)

B. E.

DSCF1755.jpg

Holy hell, look how tight that bead is, that's a strong join, that's the WORST underneath the tubes, in the tight spaces

But as I say open mind...

Could you tell me what else Areto made? I'll keep my eye out for an example on the streets and eyeball the welding

I guess Claude Butler of a similar vintage?

Definite possibility

Found this on the 'bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Claude-butler...0707012960?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3cb3595160

Can't quite make out what the welding job is like but it sure does look similar to the BE

Has the usual sack of poo components you'd expect to find:)

Has rack mounts on the rear stays and the head tube is definitely slimmer

But yes could fall under 'tweaks'

Damn it! Need to see one in the wild now so I can get a good look:)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back