Help with a Cinelli please

billby

Dirt Disciple
A colleague at work wanted me to have a look at his bike to see if its worth repairing or getting rid for something that fits him better and doesnt give him a stiff neck.
I have no history with this bike as he is off today and Friday so hopefully I can get some background (date bought etc) at the weekend.
First thing, after doing some basic research I havent got a clue when its from. It has some campag hubs and QR a 'lightweight' chainwheel and a 5 speed freewheel. Cant work out the rear derailleur and Weinmann Vainqueur 999 brakes.
So whats it worth?
I wouldnt mind doing it up but if its worth something he should sell it to get a good price (more than 20 quids out of my price range :( )
Pictures
161220101546.jpg

161220101566.jpg

161220101547.jpg

161220101559.jpg

161220101557.jpg

161220101554.jpg

If anyone can help with websites/re-chroming around east Lancs Manchester, West Yorkshire that would be appreciated

Cheers

Bill

Hi,

I'm no expert here, but looking at the lugwork on the headset, and the style of crank/chainwheel, i'd say mid-late 60's.

Whats it worth...£20 of course :roll:

Dave

My advice is that if it doesn't fit then he should sell it.

Cinelli frames/bikes are very collectable in certain parts of the world. I would keep the original finish and just clean it up. I think Ebay would get the best price (must be willing to sell overseas), and would avoid selling it to a dealer who would then sell it for an inflated price.

This might help (as would some better photos ;) )

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/ca ... logue.html

Cinelli frames are always sought after but need to be in top condition to get a good price. Poor to average condition (like yours) get a poor/average price. Post up the frame size and better pics (to confirm model) and it might generate some interest here.

Looks like a Cinelli Riviera. If you can get a picture of the seat lug up I am sure the model can be identified.

desmondo":2n7w37kj said:
Looks like a Cinelli Riviera. If you can get a picture of the seat lug up I am sure the model can be identified.

That's what I was thinking too.

that would be the area I that I Didnt get a picture of!

Will try and get some more pictures with a better camera but it probably wont be till next week. I did roughly measure the seat tube and it was about 22 inches and the floor to top tube about 33 inches

thanks for help so far. Some lovely Rivieras out there :cool: . Have taken some better pictures today
Seat
IMG_1540.jpg

state of chrome and frame 1
IMG_1560.jpg

State of chrome and frame 2 (what would have gone here, sticker?)
IMG_1555.jpg

Any info on this?
IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

But now I'm in a two minds. Do I clean it up so he can sell it at a better price or try to buy it now cheap and do it up ? the other factor in this is the shed is at capacity and the wife she NO! (Boo x 2) oh and the factor of no money etc

I sold some of these in the early 1960's. Retail about £8 compared with SC at £16. Someone might buy it thinking it compares with the better known models, but it is really low end. That means there could be a collector out there. Roughly on a level with the cheap Carlton/raleighs that some people rave about.

It si most definitely a Cinelli Riviera. The Riviera bikes sold outside of Italy were price point bikes made mostly for the British and German markets by Garlatti. If you however find one to the Italian market Riviera bikes they were made in-house by Cinelli and are of a much higher caliber, with the name Riviera being reserved for "sport" bikes not racing bikes.

The bike that you have is unfortunately in very rough shape and a restoration would not make much economic sense, as the cost of doing rechroming and painting alone could potentially cost more than the value of the bike. I would therefore suggest that is more sensible to sell it onwards now. You WILL find somebody who is willing to spend the time and money to rehabilitate the bike for tehir personal collection of use. The Riviera model does not share much with the SC or "B" model, apart from the Cinelli name. The components are likewise nothing to write home about.

PS: I hate to say it, but the headbadge is likely the most valuable part of this bike.

Back