Mystery Bike Challenge! Can you Identify?

hydorah

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This post is image heavy... So I have linked off site...

Hi Guys recently bought a bike built around the frame pictured in the link

I got it off ebay, the description was very sketchy so I went by what I could see...

Now the seller said it was supposedly Cannondale it ain't! Obviously

But I though t was VERY reminiscent of my '94 stumpjumper (long gone)

But now I've sen it in person is look at it closer the rear drop outs are not the same, and the serial number is in a different place so it's not an old Stumpjumper

Did an inventory of components and it older than I though 89/90/91 perhaps?

It had Black Face XT mechs, XT brakes, cantis, XT hubs, non parallax, laced to Mavic rims with rustless, but not stainless spokes, had XT thumbies, Zoom quill stem, Manitou elastomer forks, 1.25" threaded headset, no seat/seat pillar XT crank set, wideline axle straight arms

Evidence wise:

I've managed to detect what I think are remnants of original decals

Some sort of flying bird on the head tube and the letters 'E A' as part of some name/phrase along the top tube, the other side the same stickering is there, but no characters are readable. All the other decals are later add ons

Any suggestions?

click here for pix

British Eagle?

Regardless of whom, its very similar to the generica comonista alu frames that were used by many manufacturers in the early '90's.

Not saying budget though as some bikes were £800+

just to confirm what the cheese et al said, think it is the remnants of the headtube badge that can be seen here

legrandefromage":1ag55qko said:
British Eagle?

Regardless of whom, its very similar to the generica comonista alu frames that were used by many manufacturers in the early '90's.

You can Definatley see the remnants of British eagle decals in the pics.

the_duke":2qcu7p7w said:
legrandefromage":2qcu7p7w said:
British Eagle?

You can Definatley see the remnants of British eagle decals in the pics.

Back of the net!

as for the quality thing, i know bitd a friend had a british eagle bmx, crap components but the frame made my burner look very ordinary ( which it was, but i oh so loved it)

but while googling found this British eagle which looks very tasty

Holy hell I think you are right

Awesome job guys!!!

I ALWAYS though all British Eagle's were toy bikes! Never thought I'd end up owning one :D

But a quick google based on what you guys said turned up this:

Nice '80s tourer

Logo looks a good match for what remains on mystery frame, so it's a hit:)

- In addition to that blue ah hem MTB styled bike:)

- Apparently they did mostly churn out crap, but not always and even had a team at one point:)

I remember the Alu frame boom, it was like the full suspension/disk brake thing now, but you can still tell and feel the difference and this one is hell of a nicely made so I don't think it's supermarket generica

They were ex Coventry Eagle blokes apparently, who set up in Wakes when the dreaded Falcon cycles took over Coventry Eagle

I'm an instant expert!

So there you go! I'm gonna do a resto on it now that I know

I don't think it has a model name anywhere cos there's only three factory decals on it

The dishwater grey rustless spokes will have to go, of course

And I don't know where the hell I'll get elastomers for that fork

Other than that a quick strip, re-polish re-decal relaquer, re assemble and job's a good 'un

But yeah why shouldn't a British Eagle make it, it's hell of a nice frame the welds are smaller and neater then my Zaskar LE! And it is very light :p

Full XT and Manitou forks was never gonna be a cheapo and there can't be many out there, surely?

Thanks again all:)

Charlieboy28":1vf5sf7q said:
as for the quality thing, i know bitd a friend had a british eagle bmx, crap components but the frame made my burner look very ordinary ( which it was, but i oh so loved it)

but while googling found this British eagle which looks very tasty

Wow. That's a sexy Frameset

Latest posts

Back