Tell me about Gazelle

The style makes its 1st appearance in the 1988 file >>

5264849760_2dd8a9eb35_b.jpg

yup the gazelle was out of the reach of most amateurs back then - very expensive and around 50% dearer than the equivalent custom built uk frame. they were beautifully made and had all the hallmarks of the TI Raleigh frames of the time - i can vaguely remember something about gazelle being owned by the same TI group as raleigh.

all cloudy in the sands of time!! :roll:

rusty

The Gazelle Champion Mondial, AA and AB frames were the mainstay of the Dutch racing peloton for many years. In many regional races over half the participants were riding a Gazelle. Most of them build to measure and finished by their local dealer. So any part mix or any groupset of the right era fits for a Gazelle.

So were colour schemes model and year specific :?: mines the same colour scheme as the A frame in the 1982 catalogue but it doesn't have mud guard eyes :?

Jones":380bdfwx said:
So were colour schemes model and year specific :?: mines the same colour scheme as the A frame in the 1982 catalogue but it doesn't have mud guard eyes :?

Since most frames were built to order details like mudguard eyes and various other attachments were decided by the future owner of the frame. Colour schemes could be chosen over the entire model range.

Ivo":umhsaukz said:
Since most frames were built to order details like mudguard eyes and various other attachments were decided by the future owner of the frame. Colour schemes could be chosen over the entire model range.

mmm .... not how I remember it in the uk, when gazelle made a big appearance. They were very much stock frames in stock colours imported by sid and sold through his rotherham shop. The publicity machine was the paragon RT, arguably the best uk amateur outfit of the 80's and for a short while gazelle were a big competitor to Raleigh.

So the question is were they custom built or stock, and was the uk different to mainland europe?

Back