Lemond's 1989 Bottecchia

paul_tea

Devout Dirtbag
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Lemond.

Possibly authentic...although the signed picture (on Ebay) is Lemond riding for Z (note the Delta brakes). I was in Paris for the 1989 Tour, I recall Greg's bike was Mavic equipped.

Not as desirable, in my opinion as Fignon's Campagnolo equipped Raleigh.

I'm a Fignon fan I hasten to add.

Roadking.

He also rode carbon framed bikes in '89 at times but I have found a photo of him on a red and white bike.

Lemond.

I have all four of the Winning magazine weeklies from the 1989 tour as well as the guides etc...they're great references for bikes of"our"period.

All of Lemond's bikes and Fignon's of course.

I'd scan a lot of these images and post them up, but be buggered if can upload pictures onto the site - and I'm no tecnophobe!

Roadking.

If you have the Winning magazines, could you verify the headtube height of Lemond's bikes in photos? To my eye, the bike for sale is likely too large for Lemond, but I have been mistaken in the past and could be wrong here too.

Winning Magazines.

Yup,

I have full years of these monthly magazines, from 1985 to 1994 (when I think it finished - it became diluted, less European in the 90s), I also have all the official TdF guides/route maps from 1985 to current.

Also huge collection of t-shirts, caps etc

Winning also produced by subscription only a broadsheet (Daily Telegraph size) paper sent weekly during the TdF - great photos (Graham Watson) and great interviews. These haven't been collected retrospectively, I had them from the day.

Once I figure out how I'll post them on the site I will.

I'll take a look at Lemond's 1989 TdF bike and get back to you.

Roadking.

Citoyen du monde":3inhfvt0 said:
If you have the Winning magazines, could you verify the headtube height of Lemond's bikes in photos? To my eye, the bike for sale is likely too large for Lemond, but I have been mistaken in the past and could be wrong here too.

Hi you could also have a look at the magazine scans of the Calfee from Bicycling which would give you an idea to the height as well

Also Paul did you see Miguel Arroyo's Calfee listed on ebay the other day, auction ended it didnt sell

Cheers

Timl

Citoyen du monde":g14xzz60 said:

i would say that the height of the head tube looks correct. i'm guessing that lemond used around a 22" frame and this auctioned bike looks to be around that height too. this was a great bike and i remember selling this mavic ssc stuff back then. it was never popular but was incredibly light and worked well at the time. it all looks genuine to my eye but as to whether lemond's backside actually sat on it is another thing entirely!!

rusty

Lemond's 1989 TdF bike(s).

Guys,

I have in front of me a large poster of Lemond on his Bottechia (he's in yellow, so its week 2 (he took the jersey after victory in the Dinard-Rennes TT).

Fignon took the jersey back on stage 10 (Superbagneres-Luchon).

Greg's steel bike is red with a white seat tube and a chrome fork and chainstay (Mavic equipped as I've said previously). Columbus stickered frame with Mavic decals on the fork legs.

Auction bike not the same!

The composite bike (mountain stages) is a completely different colour - more in keeping with the ADR team jersey - flouro yellowy colour. The bike - strangely - is stickered with Colombus logos. Greg has the triathlon clippy bar thing on for the mountain TT (Gap-Orcieres-Merlette) which Steven Rooks won.

Back to the size of Lemond's bike (both) - am unsure, but I know I have the specs (in contemporary literature) somewhere so I'll try and find them.

Greg has a little pink Avocet (bike computer) on the steel Bottechia in most of the photos.

Hope this is of interest.

Roadking.

i beg to differ!! no way a 23" frame! that's a 22"-odds if ever i've seen one!! lol does anyone know the TRUE size of lemond's bikes?

the fluorescent bike that lemond used in the mountains in the 1989 TDF was a TVT carbon fibre - similar type to the one he used with Bernard Hinault in 1986 in the La Vie Claire team. he also used this frame again in the mountains in the 1990 TDF. sponsorship most likely made his team cover them with columbus decals which i'm sure slowed him down no end - columbus never made ANYTHING lightweight EVER!!

rusty ;)

Back