• Google+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another bike site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from Poland

I'm retro mtb bikes fan too. But, not purist. For past years activity on polish retromtb.pl forum, I built a few nice simple machines – tequesta, timberlines, montare, rockhopper and so on...
This forum is great, and, ofcourse, it was my inspiration and knowledge base many times...

Hi everybody,

not that long ago, I dicided to sell my race bike and start looking for a nice old school mtb for road riding. Off course I was hoping to find a well kept bike, preferably a Stumjumper off the mid-nineties. Good news, I found one, and just bought it!
When trying to find out the year off the bike, I came across this website. Within 2 minutes or so, I knew that this would be a great place to chat about old school bikes, and to admire the (sometimes superb restored) rides off other retrobike enthusiasts.

I'll give my new purchase a quick rinse, and post some pictures later this week.

Evening all, found the site last night after reading an article in 'Privateer' (which my most excellent brother surprised me with) about retro-bikes. Spent ages last night browsing pics of bikes I vividly remember lusting over back in the day, good work chaps.

Thought I'd join up as I'm now inspired to show a bit of love towards my early '90s Orange, currently built up as a sort of road bike (what was I thinking).

Beers on me
David

Good afternoon
Took up mountain biking as an escape for having rough time at school, starting in around 1992 after being taking to the World Cup in Plymouth.

Developed passion for Mint Sauce, Jason McRoy, and scouring the Stif ads every month for offers and new bits. Got a Orange C16R when i was 14/1994, the pride of my life. Hammered it at the National Point Series when they came to my area (Dorset), Malverns and the Cheddar Challenge. Discovered beer and girls in 1996 and left the poor bikes, magazines and thoughts of singletracks to gather dust. Always had a crush on the RC200, and 10 years later bought one, alas i am living in London now so it never got the love or dirt it deserved so i sold it 6 months later.

Now committed to getting that Pace back, or one like it, and an Orange Clockwork too, and hitting the trails.

Dan

Greetings and Salutations

Hi there,

I'm new here based in Exeter

I inevitably joined because I have so many damned bikes!

And not a disk brake among them

Not that I'm anti new fangled gadgetry

I just prefer things basic - The full sus Cannondale was an experiment, it's near mint (that's how much use it's had)

I have too many bikes so I'll probably get rid of some in the Spring

I've got more that aren't listed and I'm always on the look out for bits, not just exotica/high end, but basic usable stuff too

If you have bits to sell I'm always worth a shout (=hoarder)

I'm fairly new to Exeter, so will be aiming to get myself out and about as much as possible and meet fellow Retrobikers in real life:)

Hello,

Just to introduce myself, Ron Parkinson from Boston Massachusettts.

I'll take some pictures of the mountain bikes I have but right now they are mostly packed for the winter. I have Bridgeston MB 1, RekTek (first titanium mountain bike made in No. America), Proflex 856 and 755, Tom Ritchey Ascent Comp and the handlebars from my first Schwinn Sierra mountain bike (12 speeds).

I'll be mostly here to listen.

Howdy all :) Im new here.. Joined because everyone on here seems to be helpful and very knowing/intelligent. Hopefully going to start a Retro MTB project but dunno what yet havent got anything in mind.

Only my second post (had to put my bit in on the campag debate)...Just a wee trip down memory lane...

I started biking in 1988/89 on a horrendous 23 inch (he'll grow into it) monstor c/w mudguards, rack etc. However that was enough to get me hooked and I got my first decent bike on 23 June 1990. My Rockhopper Sport was my pride and joy, with it's 500 LX groupset and rapidfire levers. I used to spend hours staring at the 1990 Specialized catalogue. The Stumpjumper Comp was the ultimate bike in my eyes. All gleeming and white (and a 800 pound price tag). The only upgrades I remember making to my Rockhopper were SPD's when they came out and a 2.5 Ground Control Extreme. I did also add a Cateye ATC 8000 computer, but that fell off and got run over by a car! I did cut my bars down to about 19 inches but that hardly counts as an upgrade as it made things somewhat twitchy, but it looked cool. The crank kept falling off so I used to cycle round with a 14mm socket wrench in my cycling jersey...

Through constant use and abuse I pretty much wrecked that bike (mainly be attempting too many of the tricks that Jez Avery and Hans Rey were displaying in MBUK at the time). In 1991 I got myself a Proflex 750. Fat aluminium frame with orange stays and matching flex stem. That was useless and heavy but I pretended that it was great. It had super lighweight Suntour gears and useless tiny little brakes. I think that they were Dia Compe, and remember on many occasions wishing that they worked a bit better... Early 1992 I bought a set of Pace RC35 forks with the elastomer bumbers and bolted them onto my Proflex. On route to my first ride the bike, forks and all flew off the back of the bike rack when we were doing about 60mph. The wheels doubled up and the frame went a bit wonky. The forks survive to this day (albeit in the hands of a mate of mine)...

I had to wait 4 months for the insurance money to come through but got my hands on a 1992 Diamond Back Axis Pro. Tange Prestige frame and XTR. It was light and fast and I loved it. Unfortunatly I'd sold the Pace forks by then. I had this bike for a few years and in 1995 I fitted some Rock Shox Judy forks. I remember them being super chunky and wonderful. Elastomer spring with oil damping if I remember correctly. Some scroatbag broke into my flat and stole that bike 4 days after fitting the forks... Another spring without a bike.

Summer 1995 I got an ex display 1994 Parkpre Pro Elite Titanium with Rockshox Mag 21 forks. They had a 6 position dial. They flexed a lot but the bike was good and I still have it, but with up to date components on it...

Life and work took over and I only dabbled for a number of years, in which time I gave the forks away, preferring a rigid ride (I used the forks that I had left over from the Diamond Back as it was stolen with the retro fit Judy's). Anyhoo, in 2001 I put on some Pace RC 38 Airforce II forks onto the Parkpre, and they are still there today... (see picture)

In 2008 I got myself a Stumpjumper Pro FSR, which is wonderful and yesterday, 23 Dec 2010, exactly 20 and-a-half years after getting my Rockhopper I took delivery of a gleeming white 2010 Stumpjumper Comp carbon.

OK, so I've not exactly stayed retro, however I have been there and I do have more than one of the t-shirts... Looking forward to getting out with some old school bikers some time soon...

All the best

Merry Christmas

Col

Attachments

• Alabama.jpg
    Alabama.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,489
Hello all, I thought I should say hello after finally registering with the forum. I have been reading through the forum over the last few months, whilst I have been looking for inspiration during my latest project build of a GT road bike.

I have posted some pics of the latest bike and my GT Pantera on the "show us your GT thread".

It's good to have found such a good source of info on all things retro, but I am now getting dangerous thoughts of acquiring a new steed!

Hey, New here.
My names Joe I ride a Orange patriot 1999, it is not in retro guise anymore though I am afraid with only the frame surviving.

I do however have a period correct 1999 Trek 8000 SL with immaculate SID 100's that I used as a xc race back in my early teens but am now rebuilding.

On another retro note I also am mid restoration of a 1993 205 gti 1.9 which is as oem as you can get.

Saw a few of you at bedgebury I believe once on some older Konas.

So yeah Hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back