Look MI80 . First ride out page 6

looking good, :cool: :cool: :cool:

Strange how two identical bikes can look so different, with just a few choice components.... ;) :cool: :cool:

Just seen this in BoTM, nice build Si great work. A very era specific look you have there. I prefer the white tyres I must admit, but guess they aren't so practical for use. Only thing thats bugging me about it is the chain tension, looks a dab slack to me.

This is looking fantastic Si, congratulations. Love it with the white tyres too, but the black certainly don't look out of place...can I borrow them for my car if this snow returns?

Thanks Martin.. I wanted to keep it fuss free but business like,, and I'm happy with the result.. :)

Just seen this in BoTM, nice build Si great work. A very era specific look you have there. I prefer the white tyres I must admit, but guess they aren't so practical for use. Only thing thats bugging me about it is the chain tension, looks a dab slack to me.

Mark.. :) thanks,, yep I totally agree with you,, it needs a few links out,, of the chain, something that I shall address before the next ride out.. :)

I think most of the bits period wise work quite well,, cranks are going to be changed shortly and the grips will be changed for some black grab ons so trying to keep the parts sympathetic to the frame.. :)

The white tyres were a surprise as I expected that no one would like them,, still not sure myself,, I dont think this time of year they would stay white for very long.. but they were cheap so maybe take them out for a photoshoot soon,, Ideally I'd like some white porcs to be a little more period but not prepared to shell out a couple of hundred quid on a set of minty white ones..

This is looking fantastic Si, congratulations. Love it with the white tyres too, but the black certainly don't look out of place...can I borrow them for my car if this snow returns?

Thanks very much Nick, your another fan of the white tyres which again surprised me .. the black studded tyres are amazing , but sadly I dont think they will fit very well on your car.. :( :LOL:

On a final note.. many thanks to everyone who have commented on this ,, I love any more info on these frames if anyone has anything scans/photos/ links etc.. Look in france unfortunately have no details on these frames . and info on the net is virtually non existent.. :(

Happy trails.. :)

Hello I’m a newbie to Retrobike, but really glad to see a common appreciation of LOOK bicycles – I too have scoured the Internet searching for historic information but the tinterweb, was just a glimmer bank then.

I acquired my Mi90 from new when I worked at Mike Burgess Cycles in Whitchurch, Bristol back in the day! Circa 1991

I have treasured this bike and was lucky to get it, as it was priced up for £1000 back then. Fortunately for me it was a 16” frame and being a short ass along with no one being able to afford it I traded in a Giant “something or other” with a more favourable price, and still remember being unsure whether I was spending my limited savings wisely, I’m sure glad I did as it is, and continues to be a great bike.

It was equipped with the Campagnola Compaq groupset (24 speed’s no less), I even had the grip shift changed to thumb’s before taking the bike, thanks again Mike (top bloke). I admit I have passed on some of the parts to fund newer purchases in recent years but these things are now being coverted and loved by someone in the USA. I kept some of my favourite parts the Campag Crankset and Cassette as these are some of the nicest examples I’ve ever seen, or likely to see again...

I did decide to revamp the frame recently as after many years of toil it was looking a little battle worn and tired, plus was keen to make it disc friendly for the future. Rightly or wrongly (in the eyes of the purist) this action may be considered sacrilege, but as I’ve been its only owner I feel this was a justified thing to do, I hope you’ll agree that the final result is more a testament to the LOOK heritage, than a loss of history. I did even design the re-styled decals myself so that’s gotta show the attention to detail and count for something?

I’ve still got pics of the items I sold, for prosperity only.

Attachments

• CIMG2929#1.JPG
    CIMG2929#1.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,532
  • CIMG0267-1.jpg
    CIMG0267-1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,532
SiMossey , Its nice to see another Look MTB show its head,,, :)

As you said information is thin on the ground for sure,, be really interesting to know how many of these are actually tucked away within the UK.. :) , anyone know who the UK importer might have been BITD.. ?

Nice to know you have found it to be a good bike after all these years.. :) love to have a ride on a Mi90 , just to compare the difference in the ride against my Mi80.. :)

I like the fact that you have 'upgraded' some of the parts in order to keep it running and bring it up to date a little,, however , I think the original colour and spec looks fantastic.. :) , but its your bike,, and the most important thing is that it still gets ridden.. :)

Here's my Mi80,

I've Upgragrade a few parts from the last build :)

IMGP3555.jpg

I upgraded the chainset to a Ritchey logic as to keep with the Ritchey theme and keep period.. :)

IMGP3507.jpg

IMGP3543.jpg

Decided to upgrade all the bolts and fixings for either titanium or alloy , not sure if purple works , but the bolts stand out , which I like :)

IMGP3526.jpg

IMGP3510.jpg

Love the way the ano bolts sit flat to the ritchey logic cantis :) , I've bought some NOS ritchey cantis as I was not happy with the wear on the logos on the arms..

Front and rear mechs have had some upgrading too .. :)

IMGP3509.jpg

IMGP3508.jpg

Gone are the silver Ritchey Logic brake levers,, and replaced with a more stealthy looking black version..

IMGP3501.jpg

IMGP3502.jpg

Wheels have been changed for lighter numbers.. ;)

IMGP3376-1.jpg

IMGP3540.jpg

Really pleased the way this has turned out,,, was looking to sell , but I've decided I need to ride it some more before I make that final decision.. :)

IMGP3524.jpg

IMGP3522.jpg

IMGP3523.jpg

IMGP3545.jpg

IMGP3377-1.jpg

I'm about finished with this now , might change the handlebars for some black numbers..

But most importantly , I'm lookimg forward to getting out and riding the daylights out of it :)... roll on the summer :)

Did the Mi90 have an identical frame/fork to the Mi80?

Just a higher specced groupset maybe?? and that lovely black paintwork..

Sithlord":2uu8z95a said:
The Mi90 steve as far as I'm aware is a full carbon frame and was available with Campagnolo parts.. I did put up a scan here :

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126952

SiMossey, would you like to clarify the frame material and do you have any better (closer) pics that you'd like to contribut to this thread.. :)

I think its steel like yours - higher spec tubes maybe but they don't come much better than whats in the mi80 :D

Latest posts

Back