Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

windsorharrier":1ca2xckl said:
Mogsman":1ca2xckl said:
This is mine now after a complete rebuild.
mogsman
[/url][/img]
Its a 1998 Saracen Hardtrax.
Ian

Pug 205 GTI with Child Seat in the front, I'm liking your style!! :LOL:
I'm very much a retro person, I just prefer older things. My daughter doesn't like being in normal cars!
Ian

windsorharrier":1bgz15zk said:
coomber":1bgz15zk said:
Yeah looks a great colour. Must be of good vintage with the noodle for rear canti.

Build it up. Looks just what you were after.

Well, after posting that I wanted a mid nineties Saracen a few weeks ago. I now have three!! that's on top of the Marin SS project and the modern felt I'm running ...I only wanted one ha ha. The best is a mint Tufftrax, it's like new and a lovely purple colour....it did cost a bit though. :oops:

So no-one's heard of a forcetrax? neither had I!

Ah, would that be the twelve miles from new Saracen that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago ? If it was, good buy !

Nope, I can't, never understood Saracen's frame numbers, but my '92 traverse elite had the number E107392, the last digits could refer to the year, or could have been coincidence.

My current tufftrax elite's number is ES052754, so could be an '95 Saracen, but who knows, as it is/was exactly the same as the '93 tufftrax elite shown in the catalogue scan that is around here somewhere.

Finally almost finished building up mine now. Carrying on the stealth theme I've gone for as much black as possible. Just need to find some black bolts for the brake mounts.

14d0bol.jpg
[/img]

Yes, I agree, it does look good in black, and one of the True Temper frames as well.

Mine is black with silver and red detailing.

Ah, I tend to look for details that the True Temper AVR frames had, usually, but I suppose not always, the rear canti stand is a give away, plus the fact that if one looked at the tubes by the bottom bracket, the tubes are ovalised at this termination. My current frame which says it is Tange MTB tubing, there isn't this ovalising of tubes. From what I understand both the MTB and the AVR was pretty bog standard stuff, but in the Saracen configuration, detail and finishing, they are beautiful and tough frames.

There is also I have noticed, some frames with a seat clamp incorporated into the frame and fixed with a twist bolt like the old style, not the fit on clamp and lever QR. But I know from memory why Saracen put the tube clamping slot at the fromt of the seat tube termination, I remember it said at the time, something I was reading, the reason being putting it at the front stopped water and crud from the back wheel entering the seat tube and corroding the seat pin in place. Seems Saracen was definately thinking about a British bike for British conditions at the time.

But like I said earlier in this thread, Saracen to me, are more akin to the old British Leyland parts bin raids, as very often even with the same year and designation, the finished articles can be different, where one would expect them to be the same.

But perhaps given the interest in the old Saracens, it might be worth surveying owners of these machines to see what their frame is, ovalised or standard tubing, also the detailing on the frame and frame numbers, see if we can make some sense of them, also years of manufacture in relation to those oddities in detail.

Back