Carbon or Alloy

kaiser":1nk398ni said:
zigzag has a pair, as said they are badged up differently by many manufacturers(white,black ops, origin8, exotic). Though the pace ones are different. Have you saw the trigon ones? better looking fork for that frame I reckon andy!

Very nice :cool: unusual shape im not sure i like just yet :? Pace have a version you say?

pace one's are really nice ,rare and tend to hold their value too
they stopped making them about 18 months ago tho

Dr S":3w4f0msp said:
I had pace RC31s on a bike last year and whilst they rode well there was always that nagging doubt whenever you launched down a steep ravine in the dark.
Us Yorkies also ride with a lad who made the forks when he was at Pace. He took a look at them and asked me what i weighed. I replied '13stone' to which he rubbed his chin and eventually said 'mmmmm, yeah, you'll be alright i guess. Just dont do anything stupid'. I swapped them out the following day.

I've been riding the RC31 Ti version pretty hard for the last 1/2 year without any problems (sofar :roll: :? ) Your story makes me feel a bit scared though............ weighing a mere 15stone :oops:

I happened to read halfords policy on carbon fibre, it was that the guarantee was minimal, alloy fairs better with steel having the best guarantee length for parts, now I don't want to kill the industry, but they said that after one crash, carbon should be checked or ditched as the layers of carbon split, that doesn't sound like good mtb philosophy, unless of course, your planning to use it on road alone, Ive never bought carbon for that reason.
alluminium used to crack under stress, its getting better, while steel bends,
my best advice is use a cromo fork if you want rigid, stunt planes use it.
however Ti may be cool.
which is more enviromentaly friendly, I have no idea?

I have always Had carbon on my bikes,and have not broken any yet,had a few big crashes as well.....I did have a pair of alloy bars snap once and they pinned my hand to the ground....still got the scar as well.....depends on your personal experience really,mine being to the positive :D

Some of the youtube tests are real scientific are they not :x some meat head american jumping on a carbon fork with no wheel in it is really equal to the testing it will get in use isnt it :roll:

the companies who make the stuff should be suing these idiots for something surely......

thats an impresive video, those carbon forks are so meaty and tough, halfords, what do they know anyway? reynolds was never mean't to be mtb stuff originally, later gauges were more suitable. and not surprised it dents, its made up of several different gauges of thin steel, hence 531, 753, etc, specifying the gauges of the metal and spaces. and if were talking retro how about tanged crown forks? layered carbon that oriental mans just playing the old samurai sword and thors magic hammer game. by the way were those dints or dents?

Back