The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

I'm in Sydney.

I got the bike from the eBay US where It had been in storage and looked as new. There was an option to BIN and when I weighed up the cost of the parts it was quite reasonable. The guy was great and I decided to lose the wheels so he got the shipping cost down to $160 to Australia.

I've got Look fournales forks on it now as I replaced the Judys which were new also. I'll try get some pix up over the weekend...

Yeah cool,
Do you mind saying how much you got it for?

I am in Melbourne..
The previous owner of mine said he got the frame new in 2006 (says the frame is a 96).. And he built it with then modern parts and raced it for a season then just stored it.. I paid 1k.. not a bargin but reasonable..

Just regreasing, replacing some bolts, bottom bracket and other parts (impatiently waiting on various things to get delivered).
I will post some pics once i have finished it.

And on a side note.. Got a new bolt for the top linkage.. As presumed it was a standard Counter-Sunk bolt, got it in stainless, was a bit longer than the stock one, so i just hacksawed an filed it down. Got a new flange nut for it too in hi-tensil (they didnt sell stainless).

To remove the original nut and bolt, i got a 7mm tube spanner to undo it, and just jammed allen key in the bolt and put pressure on it so it wouldnt spin.. new nut is 10mm wide.. :p

also there is a near orginal LOBO for sale in tweed heads.. at 1k with a day to go though (ebay) :/

Personally i stay away from stainless screws and bolts, but good that you found out it was standard.

Mine cost 800 and at the time the Aussie dollar was worth the same... Like I said though everything was mint...

grimm":2dfiy75o said:
Personally i stay away from stainless screws and bolts, but good that you found out it was standard.

why is that?

I presume all the counter sunk bolts for the linkages, are just standard counter sunk.

Anyone know what the bolts and nuts for the rear drop out linkage are specifically called? They seem the same as chain ring bolts.. but obviously have specific dimensions.. are they known as anything else/something specific/trade name?.

the BETD kit just looks like stock bolts and nuts, a sealed bearing, and some nylon washers.. I would say you could put together a kit for cheap if you could find out what the nuts and washers are known as.

Attachments

• 03 - Lts horst links (medium) (1).jpg
    03 - Lts horst links (medium) (1).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 4,552
Here's the GT STS-2 I'm working on with some detail shots - its still a work in progress.
Is it just me or does anyone else think thermoplastic looks like snakeskin?

I've also found a home for the Look Fournales forks I've had squirrelled away under my bed for years.
I've replaced all the accessable bolts for titanium and the forks now weigh in at an unbelievable 1200g,
They are as stiff as a plank with zero flex whatsoever. I'm now just waiting for some olives and fittings
for my Magura HS33 rim brakes to finish the thing off.

God I love those crosslink forks, I'm trying to find Hurrycat vorace to go on the next project...

_MG_7839.jpg

_MG_7845.jpg

_MG_7843.jpg

_MG_7833.jpg

_MG_7834.jpg

_MG_7835.jpg

_MG_7836.jpg

_MG_7837.jpg

It's a long time since I have seen sts or sts lobo frames I'm surprised there's still so many survivors especially with the alloy lugs

Just got the last of the parts for my ride today.. will make some final adjustments and take it for a spin asap

240xb47.jpg

Back