Macretro - Baltic Bawbags Pitlochry Classic - 30th Jan 2011

This was the scene yesterday at the hermitage :cool: (Across the A9 From dunkeld, below the SDA downhill track) This is why we ride the sunny side of the glen.
163998_10150110705187456_784517455_7521662_4795626_n.jpg

Not yet because of the weather - work and family will hold up a recce till the week before but that should give me a good idea of the conditions.

This is the proposed route, the areas I am concerned about are the pink squares, the first is because I have never been that way before, the second could be a bitch because of the snow conditions as it is a real hike uphill in the summer, but we all have legs.

It would mean the last downhill section would be pretty much from Loch Ordie to the end of drumbuie wood - although it is likely to be icy as usual.
Rotmell wood area to guay would also be downhill farm track.

We could also detour up to roar lodge and down the other track on the way out too if it looks good.

LochOrdieRoute30Jan11.jpg

If anyone "local" want's to do a recce let me know how it is - or join me for mine.

14-15 miles usually done by 3pm but we never leave at the 10.30 start (and I'm usually last ready)

I've done a route on bing, once I work out how to post it here I will as it has the 50,000 scale walkers maps which show all the paths through the woods.

RE: pink box

That northern pink box- the more direct route on the map would be fine, landrover track, not too steep either... Did a photoshoot for a mountainboard mag there many years ago!

Thanks dave, I marked the route from memory but the route you mention might be the one I meant...

...you turn right about 120 degrees to get on to it from the level (not far after a big boulder or outcrop on the left), about 20/30 degrees uphill at the start but levels off fairly quickly (50 yrds) to a more gentle climb.

Back