Does frame size affect value a lot?

wimnell

Retro Newbie
Hi

I have this spare Eddy Merckx Panasonic Corsa Extra frame thats way too big for me, Its a 62. The plan is sell it on ebay. But Im just concerned that it will go low because of the size. The amount of possible buyers are fewer than for lets say a 56, I assume. But I also assume that there is fewer frames in that size on the market. What do you think? I dont follow prices on the bay anymore so any input would be useful. This is not a "whats it worth" question, just a hypothetical question on how the size reflects value.

Thanks!

i think larger frames always go for less than the average stuff, by quite alot. i still am glad to be average though as there tends to be more choice!

In my experience, there's also a healthy market for small frames from the far east, particularly for classic Italian frames like Colnago, Gios and DeRosa - often been outbid on ebay from Japanese / Taiwanese buyers. Mind you, I got a great price for a small Gios I sold a few years ago, despite the fact that shipping was £80.

Obviously there's a huge target buying audience in the 56-58cm range compared to other sizes. I see bigger one's 60-64 going much cheaper with not even half the bidders of a 56-58 if it's an auction format. I see much the same on smaller frames but have been surprised on a few selling quite high for the same reasons mentioned above.

I see, thanks for your input. I have sold stuff to Japan previously for a lot more than expected, but I don't think this 62 will go in that direction.

I guess Im better of looking for a trade of some sort locally instead of going thru the hassle of ebay.

garethrl":nm8o1haf said:
Just sit tight and wait til ededwards sees this posting. Job's a good-un!

Say my name three times while slowly turning around and I will appear.....

The fact I'm only 5ft 11 doesn't stop me buying 60-62cm frames and for me that is a bonus as I have found it more comfortable. Certainly with more keen cyclists sitting in the 5ft7 to 6ft range limits potential buyers just by statistics alone. When you consider that a bigger frame means heavier, possibly more flexy. There's some who will just want to go with more seatpost sticking out for aesthetics, that has a marked affect too.
The large majority of old seatposts were very short and that's because the frames were the right size for the person riding it. The fashion now is to have huge amounts showing so as to save on frame weight/get steeper body position.

I saw a 69cm framed bike on ebay, very nice too and didn't reach £50, the wheels were worth that on their own and some..I feel sorry for the sellers given the niche market at that end.

Back