Gazelle Champion Mondial

latman":2zihhuf2 said:
Did the old rusty bolt have had a "locating tooth" ? I see the new Campag one has visible "knurling" to lock it in place.

Yes, the old one had a locating tooth. If the capagnolo somehow doesn't fit I also have in my parts box a new one with the same locating tooth. No problems there.

This morning I tried to remove the stem again. Found a long metal rod. Put it into the steerer against the stem. Did a couple of hammer blows but it didn't budge. Then I put the front wheel, handlebars back on and turned the bike back on its wheels. Front wheel locked between the legs and applied force to the handlebars in a twisting motion and still nothing... :(

I'm getting my saw out! :LOL:

The serial indicates 1986. The Athena is later, so maybe it came on after a refinishing one could think. The graphic style on your bike was issued around the time your frame is from, so that doesn't give a real clue. I am still puzzled by that cable routing however. I looks like it is internal is it?

Here's a close up:
Gazelle002_.jpg

This morning I finally decided to cut the stem. The fork is out and I started cleaning the headset. Lost of solid old grease here.

CampagHeadset.jpg

The steerer seems in good condition.
Steerer01.jpg

Bottle cage bolts are out for a clean but maybe I'll just get new ones.
BottleCagebolts01.jpg

The old chain is out too as it was already too stretched.

I'm thinking of getting some caustic soda to get me rid of this.
Steerer02.jpg

Maybe cut it shorter first but as I never done it before I'm getting some second thoughts. Will it "eat" the steerer paint along with the aluminum? Can I leave the caustic soda with the forks in a plastic bottle or will it "eat" the plastic too? Afterwards what should I do the remaining solution? Flush it down the toilet? Doesn't seem very environment friendly...

I think similar has been covered on BikeForums C&V several times. I would take a look overthere.

Back