Frames - Restore or Preserve?

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Wanted to get some thoughts on this subject, as it seems to crop up frequently.

My dilemma is the above question - the perfectionist in me always wants my bicycles to look (and function) as well as they can.

I have a Holdsworth Professional, bought new by my Dad when I passed my O levels. Shortly after that I bought a motorcycle and the poor old Pro sat in my parents garage for 15 or more years (uni, married, mortgage); I got the bicycle bug again big time, and the Pro's frame is tired, a bit flaky around the edges.

Leaving it as it is seems to dishonour it :?

What do you think I should do? And if its a repaint should it be the original colour (which is metallic black with chrome dropouts and lugs lined in gold) very John Player Special - and of its day.

If you look at my stable you'll notice I did have affairs with Raleigh(bought two in the 1980s), even though I'd"married"the Pro a few years earlier!!!

Thanx for reading this.

Roadking.

P.S The bike's a '75 by the way.

I would say preserve, unless it is very bad. There are too many bikes, ( and cars, and motorbikes) that have had the concours treatment, and are, as a result, shinier, and cleaner, than when they were first made :roll: Wear and tear is part of a bikes history, and shows that it has been loved, ie used.

Dave

everyones dad seemed to have gotten them cracking bikes on here, I got a peugeot MTB that weighted slightly less than a landrover.

Restoring....or preserving?

playford":1rmz0tuv said:
pics?

depends how bad the paint is imo.

Slight rust around the cable brazings...ditto slight rust on lugs...rough where chain damaged paint on stay..

You know when you polish and you get duster fluff where it catches on the rust?

Thinks its a repaint - original or what and who do I trust with it?

Roadking.

Depends how bad it is i guess... Might be nice to leave it as a survivor... Just sort the mechanicals. Give the frame as coat of clear or some oil. And just enjoy it / not let it get any worse..

Im doing the same with my raleigh rsw to an extent , Allthough its a new addition to my collection, My sun solo that ive had for many years was in a similar state as yours at a guess.

I decided to single speed it, Although its a bit different to most. Sort of a new lease of life for it. As a restored racer i wouldnt use it, i allready have others. But as a cool new singlespeed i would. Mainly as its my only singlespeed...

Restore, new paint and decals every time. Get into the habit of it and it'll stop you doing the much more expensive and foolhardy choice of a new bike in the future when what you may really be bored of is just the colour.

repaint from dave yates or mercian then or someone like that.

not cheap though if you want to go down that line.

£150-200. incl luglining new, transfers etc.

Personally I couldn't have it that rusty, different strokes though.

I really want an orange holdsworth :)

Re: Restoring....or preserving?

roadking":33m203ay said:
Thinks its a repaint - original or what and who do I trust with it?

Roadking.

As usual, I suggest you try Chris Marshall in Keighley. He did my Dave Russell (see BOTM October and Readers Bikes) and he also does a lot of the bikes seen on Classic Lightweights. Reasonably quick turnaround and can do any repair work or add-ons you might like.

Tel. - 01535 691073

Back