1988 Mongoose Sycamore

Hawmaw

MacRetro Rider
This bike was bought new in 1988 by the previous owner from Sierra Wheels in California. He brought it over to Scotland when he came over as a member of a religious group. I bought it from him a month or two back as he was returning to the states. New laws made it difficult for him to take it back.

I can't find out much about it but it is , I believe , one of Mongoose' first attempts at a mountain bike having been a market leader in BMX.

It's in original unrestored condition complete with BMX style grips , U brake under the chain stay and rusty mild steel spokes. It's a strange combination of puke green and boring grey.

I've no intention of restoring it. It's pretty light and responsive and I've had a hoot riding it on light XC trails.

I'm going to hang onto it , not because I think it's worth much , but because I'll never see another one (go on , prove me wrong ;) )

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

Mongoose had been making MTBs from quite early on - I had a wishbone rear/ straight blade fork effort from around 1986

legrandefromage":19b0l2vr said:
Mongoose had been making MTBs from quite early on - I had a wishbone rear/ straight blade fork effort from around 1986

I've been all over the internet trying to find out about the history of Mongoose MTB and some spec on this sycamore but there's virtualy nothing I can find. Everything from the '80s is about BMX.

Hawmaw":9myznnbz said:
legrandefromage":9myznnbz said:

I've been all over the internet trying to find out about the history of Mongoose MTB and some spec on this sycamore but there's virtualy nothing I can find. Everything from the '80s is about BMX.

try:

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Mongoose.html

87Mongoose4.jpg

Back