The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

grimm":2t2tkzjw said:
www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk should be able to sort you out with correct nuts and bolts and things.

I also copied the noodle idea, but I was lazy and just stuck in the internal guide part of the noodle, because it took me an hour to get the cable through in the first place. It got lost inside the frame ...

GT STS-1000... Ready to ride

Finally got around to installing the new shock mount on my STS. The currently installed shock is temporary, for proof of concept only. It's too long and a bit bouncy. I've used some of the extra travel to set a greater unweighted height (= more sag). As soon as I get a 6.5 inch Float R (at least) at a reasonable price, I'll install it. I think maybe a RS Monarch may work too... depends on the chamber diameter.

I know Judys don't have the best rep, but I rather like them and intend to keep them. Any tips on maximizing their performance while minimizing their faults would be heartily welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,617
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,617
donny70":1cbgjize said:
Quick Question. What does everyone polish their STS with?

For the rear triangle, fine (00) steel wool. For the Al bosses on the front triangle, just a vigorous rubbing with a damp cloth.

donny70":2oxfynx4 said:
what about the thermoplastic part...

Hmmm... mine was in pretty good condition when I got it, so no polishing necessary. I'd imagine you wouldn't want to do much more than clean it with a damp rag, maybe some mild soap. The surface of the thermoplastic is naturally textured, so you're never going to get a smooth, glossy look. If your frame's suffering from light scuffs, maybe some automotive wax?

The frame is new. Well it's been in storage since '97 so if the texturing is natural it's good enough for me...

Back