Dunkers big bad build thread

Ach, the reality is this is really between mikee and kaiser, with mikee probably holding the advantage due to his ability to mill the living shite out of anything and everything :)

I'm enjoying the discussion, parts, methods and pictures though, and now that I've built the FAT and know how, well, fat it is, I'm just going to see what I can to do shed some weight - hopefully get it under 20lbs - a wee personal challenge. Forget about the competition and just set yourself a target - take an existing bike, and see how much weight you can skim? should be an interesting journey to see how much of a difference lightweight tubes, V brakes, alloy this and that will make to FAT.

Remember that the weight weenie thing is a 'theme', open to interpretation as it were. I wouldn't necessarily say that the lightest will win. Maybe you've built a gate that is near XXlbs or folks appreciate what you've done with a steel frame etc. Sure the weight should probably count for a big part but not entirely.

Furinstance I'm losing lb's to mikee at every turn but so I'm hanging my hat on something that looks good and is light.

i shall build something light that looks like a BSO

i'm using this as an excuse to do stage 2 on my existing weenie bike
stage 2 being a lighter frame
it would be good to see some more participants tho

This will be my phase 1 :D hopefully get lighter and lighter.(secretly been looking at Kleins and dales :oops: )

BTW anyone noticed the scarlet Gazz's build? Its in the section ;) and complete!

If I'm brave enough and if I can get my tools sorted I'll do this:

Drill holes in the front face of the steerer tube and bottom bracket shell.
Remove all unneeded cable stops.
File welds down a bit.
Build 2 cross spoke wheels for SS.
Drill holes between spoke holes in rim about diameter of schrader valve.
Fit lightest, narrowest flat bars I have and can ride with.
Can probably afford a pair of light innertubes.
Drill cranks.
Fit shortest seatpost I can get away with plus lightest saddle and possibly drill a few holes in that.
Plastic pedals.
Use narrow 9speed chain.
Plastic brake levers.
Alloy canti's with smallest blocks I've got.

Chances are I'll do none of the above but possibly some, particularly want to try the wheel mods though as reduced rotational mass is just a good thing.

Still got 7.5 weeks to pull it off in. Some of you guys will have time to build a fleet of bikes in that time, your just too impatient :roll: :LOL:

kaiser":3porp9z8 said:
BTW anyone noticed the scarlet Gazz's build? Its in the section ;) and complete!

eh ?

not seeing it

has he really gone ?

miss you gazz

Back