December rBoTM - Your nominations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine.......a Alan Super Record (frame model) mounted in Campa Chorus from ´88 and some parts Athena...sombody said it´s all Chorus ( front mech &brake dudes...) Cinelli Giro d´Italia...and Mavic rims original for clincher..

Attachments

• 035%20%282%29.JPG
    035%20%282%29.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 6,155
One for the festive season........

OLMO SNOWPLOUGH.....

Attachments

• twiddle_014[1].jpg
    twiddle_014[1].jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 6,127
  • twiddle_013[1].jpg
    twiddle_013[1].jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 6,127
I'll sling my Sun Worksop restoration into the ring!

more info here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=953996

68131_10150107103886171_586536170_7940138_3086901_n.jpg

68131_10150107103891171_586536170_7940139_4616167_n.jpg

go on my Sun! :LOL: :oops:

This my 1964 Carlton Flyer, built up from a frame and forks only using mostly NOS period and contemporary components (70s-00s) I have plundered from evilbay, SJS and my own collection of parts. Its a 22-1/2" frame of 531 tubing and uses Campag mechs, pedals, hubs etc throughout.

P7250648.jpg

P7250653.jpg

P7250651.jpg

Spokesmann":1xvfd4hd said:
This my 1964 Carlton Flyer, built up from a frame and forks only using mostly NOS period and contemporary components I have plundered from evilbay, SJS and my own collection of parts. Its a 22-1/2" frame of 531 tubing and uses Campag mechs, pedals, hubs etc throughout.

I'm somewhat confused by your description, could you please clarify a few points to me. What do you mean by period and contemporary? Do you mean that the parts are period correct and contemporary to the time the frame was built, or to when it was redone and repainted? I have looked at the parts and can only find the hubs, the seatpost and Bluemels mudguards to possibly be period correct to 1964. The rear mech predates 1964 as it is from 1960-63. The GB Coureur brake calipers (if that is what they indeed are) post-date the frame by a few years. The Campagnolo shift levers are 20 years newer from the 80's, the Campagnolo Sport headset is no older than the 70's, the Veloce chainset, as well as the front mech are about 30 years newer than the frame. The saddle is likewise newer. The pedals are from the 70's or 80's, the toe clips from the 80's... I am quite taken by the Bluemels mudguards, they nicely set off the colour that you chose for the frame respray. I must say however that, having been the victim of a set of untrimmed stays like those on your bike, I can only beseech you to do the right thing and trim them. I still have a scar, 30 years on, where a Bluemels stay ripped into my leg. Is this bike a rider, or is it another wall-hanger? Did you use any particular philosophy in selecting the components when building the bike up or did you simply use what you could find at the time? I personally have bikes built up using a particular philosophy, as well as ones simply cobbled together with a mish-mash of parts and can readily accept both, but do enjoy trying to understand the state of mind of the owner at the time of building.

RooKilo":1usukb5g said:
Here's my Raleigh Services des Courses, Reynolds 753R, full Dura Ace with Campagnolo Record Pave rims

This bike brings back thoughts of the Panasonic team bikes. If you were to switch the pump peg on the head tube for a number tag on the bottom of the top tube, I bet you could pass this bike off for a team-issue bike. Lovely! Are you the original owner?

Citoyen du monde, can you clarify your comment on the rear mech on the Carlton? Is it Gran Sport rear mech's in general that stopped at '63, or just this model? As I have a 65 bike with it's original, Gran Sport, rear mech.

FWIW, I tend to build with the closest components I can, I can't tell the difference between a lot of the Campag components anyway, and I'm not going to spend many times the price of my existing components for something that looks 99.9% the same, but has a different date stamp.

Spokesmann, lovely bike - I wish my '65 flyer still had some of it's chrome left like yours.

NickD":3e021znk said:
Citoyen du monde, can you clarify your comment on the rear mech on the Carlton? Is it Gran Sport rear mech's in general that stopped at '63, or just this model? As I have a 65 bike with it's original, Gran Sport, rear mech.

FWIW, I tend to build with the closest components I can, I can't tell the difference between a lot of the Campag components anyway, and I'm not going to spend many times the price of my existing components for something that looks 99.9% the same, but has a different date stamp.

Spokesmann, lovely bike - I wish my '65 flyer still had some of it's chrome left like yours.

The production of all "Gran Sport" derailleurs concluded in 1963. All Italian producers the size of Carlton had completely switched to "Record" rear derailleurs by the 1964 model year. The particular model of "Gran Sport" derailleur, which lacks the adjustable threaded cable stop of the preceding variant was first seen on 1960 model bikes. It is more than likely that derailleurs were still circulating in the trade well beyond that date, but from a production point of view, that is when they stopped being manufactured and were replaced by the "Record" model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back