Totally O/T - new 'classic' cro-mo hartails?

HughF

Dirt Disciple
Okay, so please bear with me on this one... Having looked at my early 90's peugeot raider (yep, it's a pink one) and realising that it is probably too small for me now, I'm on the look out for a replacement bike. Which is a damn shame, as it's probably only done about 100 miles from new, and is all sachs and is original - even down to the tyres :)

So, I'm at a bit of a dilemma, do I get an on-one inbred 29er, or go for a retro cro-mo frame and upgrade it?

I like the looks of the inbred frame (it's kind of oldskool) and with horizontal dropouts I could run an alfine-8, which appeals to me... I also like the idea of going to 29" because of the smoother ride with a hard from end...

I guess it is up to you, what you want in a bike and how much money you are going to spend, but this is a retro bike forum i.e. old bikes, many of which are living and breathing again because of the interest.

NOT AN ON ONE!
Something different like this:
4404224596_6e54162031_z.jpg

Dialled bikes, you know it makes sense, and not one of the on onecrowd ;)

I think bike companies are jumping on the retro bandwagon by producing cro-mo frames. Just because a frame is steel doesn't make it retro. Steel is just one of the better (easier) material to make frames from.

Don't be fooled by the hype.

Thanks for the input guys n galls...

I'm going close by this on the weekend:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOUNTAIN-BIKE-GEN ... 41550b693f

So will try and arrange to pop in and take a look, it tickles my fancy, and I probably won't notice the difference between a 26 and a 29 given that I'm about 5'9.

I am gonna get to work on my raleigh road frame buildup as I've spent most of my riding time these last few years on a 70's 531 framed raleigh, and it's time to build another one :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think it depends wether you want a bike to ride all week or just a bike to look cool on, i have modern steel and retro steel, would hate to think i was off out doing my techi trails and rough stuff on my rigid retro, i need modern geometry and wide bars ect ect for that, but then when i want to go for a troddle i use my old school steel rigid frame and ride around with a big smile on my face, if you are looking for a slack geometry frame check out the new Bagger from Ragley, or the Bluepig or pigglet, all made diffrent for diffrent types of riding styles, if you go retro then the skys the limit you can have anything you fancy, if you can find it! :LOL:
Also im not sure about changing a retro frame from 26 to 29 inch!? if you can even do it?? dont know much about that type of stuff, i think if you want to go 29 you have to buy a 29 frame? which you will struggle by going retro.

graham1975":3pf8rmgz said:
I have modern steel and retro steel, would hate to think i was off out doing my techi trails and rough stuff on my rigid retro, i need modern geometry and wide bars ect ect for that

I don't know about that - I happily take my '88 Explosif out on club rides alongside (good) riders on very much newer and diverse machinery - it goes everywhere that they go and we ride some technical enough stuff (we have lots of it here :cool: ) I do it out of cussedness, as much as anything, to show that just because a bike is 22 years old it doesn't mean that all it can do is cruise along on easy trails....
Same goes for the old man riding it too, except that I'm a lot more than 22 years old :( .
Anyway, modern geometry isn't that different and if you want to use wide bars and good, modern tyres for the sort of riding that you like to do, then fit them.

Why would anyone think that this bike wasn't capable of anything serious :) ?

Attachments

• 88-Explosif-3.jpg
    88-Explosif-3.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,611
I have to agree with both sides. We have some very tough terrain up here in Northumberland and this year i have split my riding time between a modern Long forked hardtail and my updated Yo Eddy. Both have been able to keep up with modern Orange 5s, Turner 5 spots, Coves etc. The Yo Eddy's lack of suspension travel has meant that i have to slow on really rough descents, and due to its value i have not been doing any huge gap jumps, but its fine handling, modern brakes and tyres have allowed it to tackle anything within reason. Sure, my Cotic and Mythic Spitfire can go much quicker in the rougher parts but in general all are capable of putting smiles on faces.

08.jpg

The type of riding I'm anticipating doing is a mix of country lanes and rolling coniferous forest trails, mostly sandy.

I live on the isle of purbeck, pretty much slap bang in the middle of the rempstone forest, near to the oil farm. I know the trails like the back of my hand because when I was considerably younger I was riding the trails every weekend on my moped :D

Is it entirely possible that my peugeot isn't too small, and it's just that the front fork length is a little short? I haven't taken a tape measure to the seatpost tube yet, but it just felt too small when I was sat on it?

Back