1940's Raleigh with 531 tubing?? What would that be?

Hmmm very interesting... Im wondering what he would have done with the rear wheel. I.e swapped it out for benelux deraliurs, Or just run the 3 speed rear SA hub with a benelux front.....

Im gonna get my dad to ask slyly about it tommorow....

Possibly speak to my nan and see if theres any pics floating around of the bike in question :D

Also i love raleigh. And him, and my dad is where i got the addiction from.

So seems like a fitting next project.. ;)

Thats brilliant... But how does cable routing effect the working of the gears in wet/dry weather? Not yet up to date on these set -ups. :D

The cable needed as little resistance as possible. The sliding shaft worked better with a little oil on it, rather than 5 hours of gritty rain. The low gear relies on the spring and it is more difficult to change to larger cogs than the modern opposite way.
I always bent the arm and roller cage so that as the cage moved away from the cog on the large chainring the top of the cage moved towards the wheel a little. By bending I also got one of these covering 6 speed.
Hope that helps.

My front changer cage was always bent more open where the chain goes through, and twisted closer at the front. Bear in mind this is 1951.

Found out what it was ...

Green Raleigh clubman, Bought in aug 1948 for £25, Fitted with white mudguards, A pifco style lamp on front, benelux (only on rear) Complete removal of 3 speed SA hub and replacement with benelux 4 speed....(done by holloways bike shop in Eastleigh hants)
This work would have been done around 50/ 51 Also it seems the bar end shifters were discontinued in 53 anyway....

Now to get looking for that frame.... :LOL:

Ah, the Lenton/Clubman/Record Ace. They were all the same frame, just with different parts.

I had one; far and away the best bike I ever owned. Steel rims are a test of character when it rains, but it was effortlessly fast while being strong enough to deal with rough roads. A better bike for general use than anything you can buy off-the-peg nowadays.

DSCN0340.jpg

Lenton frameset - anyone interested?

Hi.

I have a Lenton frameset that is no longer required.

Has the v.old style (tiny) 531 sticker...original paint (bit tatty) but in classic Reg Harris red.

Rear end takes a Sturmey hub or fixed.

Nice frame.

Roadking.

chris667":3ccssvde said:
Ah, the Lenton/Clubman/Record Ace. They were all the same frame, just with different parts.

I had one; far and away the best bike I ever owned. Steel rims are a test of character when it rains, but it was effortlessly fast while being strong enough to deal with rough roads. A better bike for general use than anything you can buy off-the-peg nowadays.

DSCN0340.jpg

Is that yours? I saw that on london fixed gear.... Was contemplating p.m'ing to ask if its for sale :LOL:

Re: Lenton frameset - anyone interested?

roadking":3rxxgcvg said:
Hi.

I have a Lenton frameset that is no longer required.

Has the v.old style (tiny) 531 sticker...original paint (bit tatty) but in classic Reg Harris red.

Rear end takes a Sturmey hub or fixed.

Nice frame.

Roadking.

P.m coming your way :D

Latest posts

Back