1992 kona kilauea new proect

misteroo":a1qeeu3e said:
Its in better nick than mine, and i was gonna keep it like this!!! Going for the "beaten up and well used" look!!!
Why not keep it like that then? It's clearly a genuine 1994 Kilauea. If you had it repainted, you would still have the oval tubes to identify it to those who know, but to many people it could be anything. It looks to me like a 1994 mountain bike that's been used as a mountain bike since 1994. What's wrong with that?

But Kitmech hasn't got oval tubes or anything else to identify his, so it just looks like a fake 94 Kilauea. If I were him, I would paint it the original blue, but whatever colour he chooses, if he could find some 1992 Kilauea decals that would lend it some extra credibility.

Anthony":13f5ksto said:
misteroo":13f5ksto said:
Its in better nick than mine, and i was gonna keep it like this!!! Going for the "beaten up and well used" look!!!
Why not keep it like that then? It's clearly a genuine 1994 Kilauea. If you had it repainted, you would still have the oval tubes to identify it to those who know, but to many people it could be anything. It looks to me like a 1994 mountain bike that's been used as a mountain bike since 1994. What's wrong with that?

But Kitmech hasn't got oval tubes or anything else to identify his, so it just looks like a fake 94 Kilauea. If I were him, I would paint it the original blue, but whatever colour he chooses, if he could find some 1992 Kilauea decals that would lend it some extra credibility.
i did think about doing it back to how it should be but i'm saving myself for a completely standard explosif rebuild :D if it makes anyone feel better gil has made me some 92 graphics in alternativ colours :D

MCsanandreas":6raab2ss said:
nice! even tho i have sold my soul to box section ali Mountain Cycles my first really good mtb was/is my 94 Cindercone. steel framed Konas are just "right"
deffinatly the shape is so pleasing this must be my 7th or 8th i just can't help myself :)

Kitmech":1bephpto said:
also it does have an :) oval tube
Do you mean that the seat tube is ovalised where it meets the bottom bracket shell? If it's the top and down tubes that are ovalised and they taper from rear to front, then it's a 1993 Kilauea not a 92.

This is just my opinion but I am giving it anyway. Personally if you feel the need to customise a Kona and you have an Explosif as well as this, I would customise the explosif and go for a factory build (ish) on this one with original paint and decals, but as said, that is just me.

Are kilauea's more rare than other kona's or something cos you all seem to want me to keep it original?

ok.... so have done absolutely nothing with this due to the arrival of my daughter (who as it happens has turned out to be bike mad) i'm gonna start moving with this project but i have a couple of questions for the kona fans out there........
This frame has a 1" head tube so is it a kilauea? and if so what year is it? :?

Back