Steel forks for a modern bike

i-am-iron-man

Senior Retro Guru
I've finally got my hands on a Salsa La Raza, and I'm about to acquire [another] high quality steel frame.

I'm poised on the verge of sending my La Raza over to Argos or Mercian for a fancy paint-job, and in the back of my mind I was thinking about ditching the carbon forks it came with. Now I am thinking: it'd look ace if I got some steel forks and had them painted to match the frame.

I'm a fan of skinny, straight-bladed steel forks. However, I have no idea on where to get a modern set. Any ideas?

hamster":aemu81eh said:
I'd get Argos or Mercian to light up their brazing torches and make some!

I've been doing loads of hunting today and it looks like that's my best bet.
IF make some nice ones but I suspect they're eye-wateringly dear.

I thought I'd be able to get some nice, boutique-ey ones...

Also, looking at the IF website, its making me feel inadequate and stupid for having such a cheap, shi*ty frame in the first place. So probably be best to stop looking anyway.

Chris Marshall in Keighley will make and spray some for you.

Phone him on - 01535 691073

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
latman":127m04pf said:
get the carbon ones painted to match too ?

I did think about that... I don't know, I've got skinny steel in the windmills of my mind now.

I thought the Salsa forks were a bit ugly and earlier I found out they need long drop calipers - no way José!

I expected someone somewhere would be selling some skinny Precisia-a-likes with a sexy crown, but I haven't found anything yet.

Well that tells me the geometry must be different (shorter legs) if you get a steel fork for shorter calipers , as well as different weight and "feel"(and you need to buy at least one brake caliper) and thats not even considering trail etc.

ps you could get the carbon ones painted to match even if you have no intention to use them (or just keep them black woven which will make them easier to sell IMO)

Latest posts

Back