what cost carbon???

wow

What crankset is that????

elquequiencom":2x8bexv1 said:
...I´m from Barcelona...

Well, honestly i´ve got a carbon repair business...& it´s a good business because carbon don´t have a long life...
But carbon have some clear adventages in comparison with other materials, like others have too...

Our question...at latest ´90s there was very good and efficient steel frames like Pinarello Opera (pegaso steel) and Fondriest Status...all the feel & durability...And I could think cheaper if you can find some one.
It´s typical over time when a new starting material begins to prevail, it´s when the brands they make the best of the above...
Here you can see "la carica de rottura" from every frame, the Opera it´s amazing!!! more than 3 times hahahh compared with the best aluminium...http://web.tiscali.it/labicicletta/bici ... orsa.htm...

Re: wow

bikenut2010":32bqb4e6 said:
What crankset is that????
its Mavic
I used to build steel frames and ride a cheap carbon frame at the moment.Carbon will never replace hand built steel for looks or longevity but it is cheap and easy to mass produce.Carbon is stiffer but thats not always a good thing if your in the saddle for long periods at a time

bikenut2010":3flkzzx8 said:
hamster":3flkzzx8 said:
I watched someone write off a carbon bike with a simple slide on a roundabout. A steel frame would have needed a repaint.

Horses for courses. Carbon for performance, Steel or Ti for an ownership proposition.

As if 2kg saved on the bike wouldn't be better as 2kg off me. :roll: :roll:

or a good dump before getting changed! lol

For time triallists, lends a whole new meaning to "I'd give it five minutes if I were you" ;)

David

ha

David B":24z15nfi said:
bikenut2010":24z15nfi said:
hamster":24z15nfi said:
I watched someone write off a carbon bike with a simple slide on a roundabout. A steel frame would have needed a repaint.

Horses for courses. Carbon for performance, Steel or Ti for an ownership proposition.

As if 2kg saved on the bike wouldn't be better as 2kg off me. :roll: :roll:

or a good dump before getting changed! lol

For time triallists, lends a whole new meaning to "I'd give it five minutes if I were you" ;)

not to mention loss of traction for the next man out....

David
:oops: :oops:

8.5kg for a 3K bike in my eyes isn't impressive at all, in fact I'd say there must be some (comparatively) fairly weighty bits on there.

The lightest steel bike I own is my late 50's Carlton which even though a 23" frame & fitted with toe-clips & straps 27" wheels & 25 section tyres comes in at 9.4kg
My Gitane with Vitus GTI triple butted frame, old Time carbon forks & 105 16 speed sti group, comes in at 9.5kg

The lightest bike I own is the 62cm Raleigh titanium triple comes in at 7.65kg (frame is 1.65kg too!) and the Prinny Rex Ellipse is about the same with a Brooks Pro saddle to add some meat. The Raleigh I was fortunate to pick up cheap a long while back & I've bought plenty of bling for it but still cost 4 times less than the Cervalo. The prinny cost me £550.

To my mind CF bikes are ugly for the most part and are souless no matter how much you dress them up.
As ultimate racing machines they may well be at the top of the chain but I can't see myself ever buying one.

weighty parts

tonyf39":4ldie8ir said:
8.5kg for a 3K bike in my eyes isn't impressive at all, in fact I'd say there must be some (comparatively) fairly weighty bits on there.

The lightest steel bike I own is my late 50's Carlton which even though a 23" frame & fitted with toe-clips & straps 27" wheels & 25 section tyres comes in at 9.4kg
My Gitane with Vitus GTI triple butted frame, old Time carbon forks & 105 16 speed sti group, comes in at 9.5kg

The lightest bike I own is the 62cm Raleigh titanium triple comes in at 7.65kg (frame is 1.65kg too!) and the Prinny Rex Ellipse is about the same with a Brooks Pro saddle to add some meat. The Raleigh I was fortunate to pick up cheap a long while back & I've bought plenty of bling for it but still cost 4 times less than the Cervalo. The prinny cost me £550.

To my mind CF bikes are ugly for the most part and are souless no matter how much you dress them up.
As ultimate racing machines they may well be at the top of the chain but I can't see myself ever buying one.

I checked the weight again, comes out at 7.75 but I'm using bathroom scales so maybe not so reliable??

Anyhoo, the steelies by the same method come out at 9.5, 10 and 10.5 so I agree, not great value by weight alone;
Dunno where to save significant weight without spending silly amounts on a wheel set...components are Cervelo RS frame, 54 cm 3T fork. Easton E 70 seatpost and Fizik saddle. Campy 11 speed Athena Carbon, Campy Scirocco wheels, Conti GP tyres. Couple of cheap carbon bottle cages, polar sensors for cadence and speed. Control Tech alloy bars and Scott stem, ( alloy ) from CR1)

Sounds like your scales might be out then, apparently the RS has a frame weight of 1050g for the 54cm and the 3T forks (Funda's??) are very light too so I would expect 7.5kg easy.

Even though my Raleigh frame is a relative leviathan I managed to accquire NOS Dura Ace 9 speed in dribs n drabs plus I have Vittoria Ultraspeed tyres, those plus the tubes come to only 440g. The wheels are the older Ksyrium SSC which are a little less than the Sciroccos plus I have ti skewers which are 45g the pair. EC90 bar & TEC stem, 340g the pair. A 90mm ITM Millenium stem comes in around 125g and are easy to find cheap but I guess you have oversize bars. I was tempted to buy a titanium bilet 9 speed cassette 12-21 that weighed only 99g but thought that was just silly for the 55g weight saving :LOL: I have a Syncros ti seatpost and silly lightweight velo saddle.
MY FRM headset was only 90g too so that too saves a few grams. My total spend was £700 after taking into account all the original bits I sold off, I guess I just got lucky.
Certainly I could buy much lighter wheels but as you say for the price of a really light set you can buy another Italian Steely I know which I'd rather spend the money on :D

Still, which is the nicest to ride overall or that you appreciate/look after the most? The money spent isn't so relative if the one that cost you the most brings you the most pleasure.

nicest ride

tonyf39":3gp9peoh said:
Sounds like your scales might be out then, apparently the RS has a frame weight of 1050g for the 54cm and the 3T forks (Funda's??) are very light too so I would expect 7.5kg easy.

Even though my Raleigh frame is a relative leviathan I managed to accquire NOS Dura Ace 9 speed in dribs n drabs plus I have Vittoria Ultraspeed tyres, those plus the tubes come to only 440g. The wheels are the older Ksyrium SSC which are a little less than the Sciroccos plus I have ti skewers which are 45g the pair. EC90 bar & TEC stem, 340g the pair. A 90mm ITM Millenium stem comes in around 125g and are easy to find cheap but I guess you have oversize bars. I was tempted to buy a titanium bilet 9 speed cassette 12-21 that weighed only 99g but thought that was just silly for the 55g weight saving :LOL: I have a Syncros ti seatpost and silly lightweight velo saddle.
MY FRM headset was only 90g too so that too saves a few grams. My total spend was £700 after taking into account all the original bits I sold off, I guess I just got lucky.
Certainly I could buy much lighter wheels but as you say for the price of a really light set you can buy another Italian Steely I know which I'd rather spend the money on :D

Still, which is the nicest to ride overall or that you appreciate/look after the most? The money spent isn't so relative if the one that cost you the most brings you the most pleasure.

Well the Cervelo is like silk to ride, 40 miles non stop on the last sportive and I didn't even need to stand on the pedals to ease my butt! and the super stiff BB pays dividends in sprints etc, The Olagnero ( Columbus Aelle )has bags of character tho, joy to ride from day 1 and all I've done is ditch the bio-pace rings for stronglight 53/39s, new BB and brake cable plus a bit of bar tape and cheap contis )...the Rossin I have 'touring' gears 14-28 on the back and it's been a bit of a labour of love, complete wheel rebuild DA rear mech, DA crank waiting to go on, restored orinal paint, NOS 600 brakes, DT shifters....a real head turner, but I'm thinking of letting her go as i've spotted something nice with lots of old Campy on it ;-) I guess we're really spoilt having such great machines to enjoy, the Cervelo was the result of a legacy, I would never normally go so nuts but it was special situation...

Latest posts

Back