19?? Universal Reactor

DarrenW

Retro Newbie
Hey everyone...

So back in the summer I decided I wanted to get in to cycling to get a bit healthier and fitter. I couldn't afford a new bike, and I didn't really have the first clue of what I'd need anyway, but I did have this bike.

It was bought for my brother some time in the 1980s (I think?) and hasn't been used since about a year or so after he got it. I changed the tyres as the originals were quite brittle-looking, and I've fitted the mudguards too as I was getting fed up of the mud-stripe up my back in wet weather! A friend gave me the (issaselle? Something like that) saddle as I was having comfort problems with the original!

I've done about 200 miles or so on it since September but it needs overhauling, the rear axle seems to be shot, some of the teeth on the gears are a bit mangled somehow and I think the crank is suffering as it seems to have developed play in it, but I haven't looked at it properly yet.

Shimano gears etc, but I have no idea which or what (I know very little about all this stuff at the moment, I'm learning fast though!)...

I've looked around on this site a bit and I can't find anything for "Universal" bikes at all... Is this 'cos they aren't any good?

Ideally I'd like to upgrade it a bit, starting with a new gearset, I'd like to start using it to commute to work on in the Spring (6 miles each way).

If anyone can tell me more about these bikes (good or bad!), I'd appreciate it!

Great forum :)

Attachments

• 2010-11-07 12.19.48.jpg
    2010-11-07 12.19.48.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1,344
Hello and welcome - unfortunately, what you have there is what is commonly known as a 'BSO' - a bicycle shaped object.

Yours is from around 1995 - I used to sell the returns in Cambridge for around £49 GBP.

These bikes are sold by catalogues and discount sports shops for the lowest possible prices meaning that some of these bikes wholesale at around $20 USD - about £14 GBP if bought in bulk (by the 1000) and retailing at around £59 GBP.

That means the cheapest possible materials are used and the resulting bike, whilst looking bicycle shaped, can be very disappointing in the long run, broken parts, premature wear and so on.

check out: http://bicycleshapedobject.wordpress.com/

Rather than upgrade your existing bike, ask around Retrobike to see what there is available to suit your budget - there is all sorts hiding in our sheds that will be more than capable of commuting, off road riding and can be had for as little as two new tyres from Halfords.

Check out this site for maintenance of your existing parts as some cane be serviced without too much effort. And note that chain rings and rear cogs (cassettes) have the 'mangled' look to aid shifting from cog to cog.

http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

Again, welcome and good luck.

Just to give you an idea of what's out there, I picked up a late 1990s (I think) Claud Butler steel framed mtb for £10 on gumtree. Had to spend a bit doing it up (new gear shifters, cables, semi-slick tyres etc). It's an unspectacular, but perfectly functional, solid bike that has been fine for the last few months with daily use will hopefully last me for many a year.

There was a GT Tequesta with mixed XT/LX kit on for £50 a few weeks back. T'was my size so quite fancied it apart from the fact I have no need whatsoever and nowhere to keep it.

Hi fella,

while i would agree with everything that has been said above, ( LGF is a very nice man), i too have a BSO, c 1995, and it gets me to some lovely places on and off road, is very tough, not worth much if it gets nicked, and is a good place to start.

Sorting out the B/B (crank bearings, or bottom bracket as it is known in the trade), and rear axle, shouldn't be difficult or expensive.

Get back into riding and take your time working out what you want out of a bike, using this as a starting point. Ride as many of your friends bikes as you can, and ask questions....then spend some money; and not before :cool:. Keep it as a pub bike thereafter, but don't spend to much on it now.

Piperdave":io4bynp6 said:
Hi fella,

while i would agree with everything that has been said above, ( LGF is a very nice man), i too have a BSO, c 1995, and it gets me to some lovely places on and off road, is very tough, not worth much if it gets nicked, and is a good place to start.

Sorting out the B/B (crank bearings, or bottom bracket as it is known in the trade), and rear axle, shouldn't be difficult or expensive.

Get back into riding and take your time working out what you want out of a bike, using this as a starting point. Ride as many of your friends bikes as you can, and ask questions....then spend some money; and not before :cool:. Keep it as a pub bike thereafter, but don't spend to much on it now.

Sensible advice, thankyou!

And thanks for the info everyone, very interesting... I'll be on here more as time progresses I think :)

I have a friend who collects retro bikes, I'll see what I can learn/do with this one and see if he can source me something interesting and suitable!

Thanks! :D

Back