what cost carbon???

Re: race bike

bikenut2010":1sul093w said:
Interesting, I was thinking of maybe selling the Cervelo and ordering a De Rosa Primato?

Nearly all of the big Italian brands still seem to have a bit of "old school" steel lurking somewhere in the range - must obviously be something of a niche market for them, mostly (I'm guessing) in the States.

David

First...sorry for my english...maybe I can´t express very well something;)

As I could understood the carbons don´t give to you distnct adventage againts the steel...?
Well as you said, sell it, you can have a good money for the Cervelo...

For wheight questions, theres a lot of steel ligth frames with good price and good looking...
I have a Pinarello Opera from 1999 in 1,4 kg in 54 size, a wonderful frame with a hi-tech steel & a Bianchi from ´94 in Deddaciai Zero Tre...1,8...
but now if you are looking for classic look on steel frame...there´s a lot of things (nice things)

frames

elquequiencom":1gsti12d said:
First...sorry for my english...maybe I can´t express very well something;)

As I could understood the carbons don´t give to you distnct adventage againts the steel...?
Well as you said, sell it, you can have a good money for the Cervelo...

For wheight questions, theres a lot of steel ligth frames with good price and good looking...
I have a Pinarello Opera from 1999 in 1,4 kg in 54 size, a wonderful frame with a hi-tech steel & a Bianchi from ´94 in Deddaciai Zero Tre...1,8...
but now if you are looking for classic look on steel frame...there´s a lot of things (nice things)

that's OK, it was a bit odd at first! where are you from??

the Pinarello sounds great! I should start looking!

I have 3 steel bikes but nothing that light!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N04/sets/

carbon

What amazes me about carbon is that in other sports where it is used such as motor racing and motor cycle racing all carbon components have a short usage time and are thrown away when this is reached, yet in cycling use there is no such time limit.
Is this why carbon wheels are not used on Paris Roubaix by most riders.
Re steel bike weights, all my cross bikes were always under 19 lbs, mainly due to hours drilling and milling away surplus alloy from components and the use of the lightest parts sat on the shelves at ron kitching, its amazing how much weight you can save by walking round with a pair of scales looking for parts for the next season. the biggest weight loss was the use of Zeus 2000 alloy 6 speed freewheels which were built like a swiss watch.

Re: carbon

orbeas":12dk4jpg said:
What amazes me about carbon is that in other sports where it is used such as motor racing and motor cycle racing all carbon components have a short usage time and are thrown away when this is reached, yet in cycling use there is no such time limit.
Is this why carbon wheels are not used on Paris Roubaix by most riders.
Re steel bike weights, all my cross bikes were always under 19 lbs, mainly due to hours drilling and milling away surplus alloy from components and the use of the lightest parts sat on the shelves at ron kitching, its amazing how much weight you can save by walking round with a pair of scales looking for parts for the next season. the biggest weight loss was the use of Zeus 2000 alloy 6 speed freewheels which were built like a swiss watch.

That sounds like a plan, I took off a shimano freewheel and it weighed a ton!

The Olagnero and Rossin are only aelle and gara tubing, so I guess the Colnago would be the best candidate for weight shaving / saving.

May sell the Rossin for something else...

Don't forget you're not only saving weight with carbon you are also gaining stiffness. Allegedly, I've never ridden one so I don't know.

I watched someone write off a carbon bike with a simple slide on a roundabout. A steel frame would have needed a repaint.

Horses for courses. Carbon for performance, Steel or Ti for an ownership proposition.

As if 2kg saved on the bike wouldn't be better as 2kg off me. :roll: :roll:

hamster":3u7rb1hy said:
I watched someone write off a carbon bike with a simple slide on a roundabout. A steel frame would have needed a repaint.

Horses for courses. Carbon for performance, Steel or Ti for an ownership proposition.

As if 2kg saved on the bike wouldn't be better as 2kg off me. :roll: :roll:

or a good dump before getting changed! lol

...I´m from Barcelona...

Well, honestly i´ve got a carbon repair business...& it´s a good business because carbon don´t have a long life...
But carbon have some clear adventages in comparison with other materials, like others have too...

Our question...at latest ´90s there was very good and efficient steel frames like Pinarello Opera (pegaso steel) and Fondriest Status...all the feel & durability...And I could think cheaper if you can find some one.
It´s typical over time when a new starting material begins to prevail, it´s when the brands they make the best of the above...
Here you can see "la carica de rottura" from every frame, the Opera it´s amazing!!! more than 3 times hahahh compared with the best aluminium...http://web.tiscali.it/labicicletta/bici ... orsa.htm...

Attachments

• FONDRIEST-STATUS.jpg
    FONDRIEST-STATUS.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,121
Back