Dodgy ebay buyer??

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I got this message from a german guy who won an auction I had for a bike frame. Does it sound dodgy to you or is it just a language barrier? Despite stating paypal only for international bids and clearly stating £40 for postage for Germany he is asking the following:

Hello I am glad to win the bid. Please send me Yr BIC /IBAN that You get payed. Then let us share ideas of good wrapping and not costly but secure shipment
regards

What is a BIC/IBAN - are they bank account details?

any help appreciated...

IBAN/BIC are your internationally recognised bank details/sort code and stuff. Normally listed on your statement. Means that he can do a direct transfer. Not too dodgy as he can't take anything out using the details only pay stuff in. Seems the way that Germans do ebay - they seem to refuse to use paypal in anyway and only ever use bank transfers.

Also sounds like he translated from German through babel fish...

BIC/Iban are the international bank codes relating to to your bank, i went through a similar thing but as a buyer trying to send money to germany...panned out fine for me.

bic/iban info...

Hiya

BIC & IBAN are OK to give people for a wire transfer to take place, in fact they are necessary.

A few things to note...

If you go down this route you only need give this info & the account name - that way everything remains safe for you.

Make sure that the buyer covers all fees, as your bank may charge you a small fee to receive the payment.

When the payment arrives in your account, make sure it has cleared by calling the bank before sending anything. Can take between 2-5 days in my experience.

Anything else just ask.

ok thanks, annoyed as said paypal only though :evil:

will it cost me anything by this method? how do I find out my IBAN/BIC??

further info...

the only possible cost for you will be a fee to receive the cash, BUT you can get the buyer to cover these fees by getting them to advise their bank when making the transfer. Usually less than a tenner but still worth knowing about.

The BIC/IBAN numbers will be at the top of your statement - otherwise just give the bank a call.

cheers.

Thanks just rang the bank (Natwest) and it'll be £7 to receive this money - you reckon I should charge this back to the buyer especially since I had stated Paypal only?

I think you should consider doing that, but do remember that paypal also charge you a percentage to receive a payment.

maybe split the difference between...

...what paypal would have charged & the bank fees?

or just ask the buyer to cover.

Whatever you are both happy with to see the deal go sweetly.

Very best.

Back