sun road bike.

Its nervex lugs for definite.

so the simplex derailleur and shifters would be a 1970's addition then?

It must have had a derailleur though as chainring is a 10 speed, I can only see braze on on one side oddly.

Ill take a pick of serial number later.

I'm thinking its a sun wasp manxman then.

it has type one weinman centre pulls and what look like later weinman levers. My guess is someone has 'upgraded' the bike in the 1970's incl the respray.

if you look at my picture mine has support struts like this..

sun_ma4.jpg

Manxman it is then, just need to place the year, better pictures please, and double check the serial number. Terry

The man I bought it from got it in 1969 and resprayed it then himself.

I'm thinking he changed the rear derailleur to campagnolo valentino extra and front derallieur to simplex.

5234227007_1412d113c3.jpg

5234226751_309521a267.jpg

Checked the number of frame again in the light, its i think BTV4408

Hope this helps.

There isnt brazings on both sides, so I presume it originally had a suicide derailleur and just one lever for the 10 speed like in the pic of that bike, so in the 1970's it was swapped for a simplex derailleur and double downtube levers. they look the same age as the ones that were on my other carlton.

It's a really handsome bike; I really like the wasp-ish 60's repaint it's had. I could spend months trying to decide whether to restore it to how it would have looked originally or work with the orange and black paint.

Same shape, struts, lugwork.

Differences, my drop outs have triangle bits cut out of them and the pump holder runs along the top tube.

Could it be a later model in the fifties, seen one in a catalogue for 1957 that looks identical to mine.

Wish it had the original paint, think I'm gonna do this one racing green.

Back