Thought I'd pop on the scales with the bikes to see what's what,

Cervelo RS ; Campy athena carbon 11 spd: 8.5kg
Colnago super; Columbus SL, Campage athena /mirage 8 spd: 9.8kg
Olagnero Columbus Gara, Shimano EX/105: 10.0kg
Rossin Team Shimano ( with mudguards) ,
Columbus Aelle, Shimano 600/DA 10.5kg

Cervelo £3k+
Steelies £400-£600 each incl refurbs.

So is it worth it? carbon bikes? knitted soot??

Comments on a postcard please :shock:

I've got a mid-90's 531 Raleigh that weighs about 9.25kg. Maybe 9.23kg now I've cut the bars down ;)

I like carbon bikes but they're not for me. I prefer my steel beaters that I don't have to worry about too much. None of mine owe me more than £100.

Knitted soot, lol :p

Sorry but I don´think the weight of the Cervelo it´s really successful....or the assembly it´s simple submarine shield & then....

Yes the steel weigs more than carbon...and?? if you want a light weight metal frame you have the Deddaciai 7.9 or the magnificent Columbus XCR
with all the spirit of the metals...

But I don´t have a classic steel bike only for things like weigth, a lot more than the modern hi-tech carbons...I have it because I love it & I don´t care that the next bike..

Old Ned":1lhvku75 said:
And if you crash one badly.............?

Repair, Recycle - Replace?!

I agree - exactly the reason why I went back to having a steel frame for my race bike; any damage should be relatively easy to fix, up to a point. Admittedly it has a carbon fork, but trashing that in an accident is the lesser (and cheaper) of two evils compared to writing off a whole carbon frame.

David

race bike

Interesting, I was thinking of maybe selling the Cervelo and ordering a De Rosa Primato?

I just sourced a steelie for a friend, an old Aliverti, mix of campy, GPM and Modolo... turned up almost as light as the Cervelo within a pound or so, sort of gutted! :cry:

Re: race bike

bikenut2010":2u1a2sme said:
Interesting, I was thinking of maybe selling the Cervelo and ordering a De Rosa Primato?

I just sourced a steelie for a friend, an old Aliverti, mix of campy, GPM and Modolo... turned up almost as light as the Cervelo within a pound or so, sort of gutted! :cry:

OK, so it has a carbon fork and modern parts, but the new replica Holdsworth Professional from Falcon has a lugged Cr-Mo frame and tips the scales at a respectable 19lb. Although at nearly £2400 :shock: you'd kind of expect that....

David

Holdsworth

Huh, my Uncle was manager at Holdsworth's in Putney, worked there since he left school.... he sorted out a very bling lime green metallic paintjob on my Claud Butler!

19lbs is light, about the same as the Aliverti...my Colnago is 22lbs.

I fancied the Holdsworth replica when it first turned up in the bike mag last year, price was said to be £1500 but there was no-one to tae the order!

So what do you ride??

Jonny69":2zk0avc2 said:
I've got a mid-90's 531 Raleigh that weighs about 9.25kg. Maybe 9.23kg now I've cut the bars down ;)

I like carbon bikes but they're not for me. I prefer my steel beaters that I don't have to worry about too much. None of mine owe me more than £100.

Knitted soot, lol :p

Knitted soot?? Anything to do with this incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piG3HH0MguI

;)

David

Back