For the Raleigh experts here

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Just wondering if you can shed any light on the history of aset of bikes. In 1983 I went to Bangor Normal College to study Outdoor Ed. The head of dept was John Brailsford, a keen bikie as well as international Guide.
Anyway though him, virtually everyone on the course, 24 of us, was able to order from Raleigh some very nice bikes. We were asked for a selection of measurements as well as our type of riding. Eg I asked for tubs and also got a longer frame than a mate the same height who wanted a less racey machine. They were well speced although it did vary slightly. They were all 531c throughout with a Campag GS brakes, SR or Campag chainsets and Suntour mechs. Mine came with Gs hubs and GP4 rims. They arrived in late 83 ie a few months after we started the course. They year before mine , 82 had the same thing with a few differences. Some had the word Carlton on the TT although all main logos were Raleigh. Another 1 ( aquired from a mate) I have in the shed doesn't have 531 badges on the forks although its 531c The 81 models were much the same.
We were told that they were non standard colours. My 83 model is blue (something between the windows explorer blue and the blue of this posting page). Logos and small panels are white as are the lug lines. The 82 is a metallic maroon with gold linings and the 81's were a bright red with white like mine.
We paid arond £150 for them each year.In total I reckon about 60 bikes were provided. The 84 students were disapointed as it never happened again.
Anyone able to shed any light on these.

Latest posts

Back