sun road bike.

playford

Retro Guru
I've got offered a 5 speed sun road bike, tonight.

Apparently the gentleman concerned got it 41 yrs ago aged 16 and it was second hand when he was given it.

So realistically its mid sixties at the earliest.

worth bothering with? I know very little about the brand at all other than raleigh bought it over in 1961.

are we really talking a rebadged raleigh/carlton or something a bit nicer?

Some Pre Raleigh Sun's ( Made in Birmingham ) can be of the best quality. Sun were a middle ground manufacturer during the forties and fifties ( started early in the century ), doing the mass produced thing but also producing some excellent bespoke models; Sun Wasp, Manxman, Manx TT. They are slightly overlooked by collectors, which means good prices, I currently have a 1952 Sun Wasp Champoin du Monde, 1959 Cresta, and a 1952 Manxman frame. So what is it, go get !

Heres all I know.

"Requires a bit of TLC new tyres, tubes, wheels cleaned. Has 5 speed durelier gears. Frame in very good condition. Maker I believe was SUN?"

I asked how old the bike was and got this reply.

"trick question as it wasnt new when my dad got it for me and I've had it since I was 16 - 41 years ago.

Its been in waiting for me to use it again for quite a few years now and after a few false starts I've decided I'll never use it again so it needs a good home.

Its been stored in a warm boiler house and is currently hanging in my garage"

Going to see it at lunch time tomorrow. 531 frame anyway?

See if this is the second carlton i end up with in as many weeks lol

ach even if the frames decent, I cant lose.

I've a sneaking suspicion its something a bit tasty as well.

"Racers" werent a big thing here til the 70's really anything before that I presume was bought for road racing. It's mid sixties at least and I could touch lucky for something decent from the 1950's.

I promise a few pics when I pick it up tomorrow lol

Ive had a late 70's sun solo for ages. Rode it from my house in eastleigh hants, to durdledoor in dorset when i was 15 with some mates...

Long old stomp realy but realy fun and the bike did it hassle free.

Ive never been able to get rid of it... and never wanted to. But it died being in the shed needing love , So the frame and forks is currently being built into my singlespeed with a twist project... :LOL:

Underrated... Like most raleigh frame sets.. But nice to ride... Mines a big frame tho

I'm rebuilding a 70's carlton at the minute, I'm just hoping this one is english threaded lol

should be a good chance if its pre 1970. *fingers crossed*

Back