weapon of choice....kona or orange..what was better...?

sinnerman":30u9jxgh said:
Neil":30u9jxgh said:
BITD, with only the two choices here, I would have bought the Kona.
what made you decide on the kona.......?
Caveat: I've never owned one.

Rode a couple back in the day. And although I've never really been particularly bothered about owning one, I always thought they were well sorted bikes.

I remember reading my first review of one (an Explosif, in around 88 / 89) and it getting a good write up (would have been MBUK, and I'll still have the mag, somewhere, in the loft...) so I always held them in reasonable regard, even if I wouldn't have necessarily bought one with a greater choice available.

Back then I rode and raced a Rockhopper Comp, with XT Cooks and Campag bits and only 2 chainrings which I built myself. Frame wise it was similar to the Clockwork but I would have had the Explosif over the Prestige as Oranges really have never done anything for me.
I did ride a Clockwork BITD but my Rockhopper ran rings around it (well it would at 25lbs) as mine was tricked and the Clockwork factory LX IIRC.
I like the Splatter Explosif and the Columbus Max one, plus respect Kona for going for XC Pro on the top bike rather than the obvious XT.
So Kona all the way for me but I still like my Brit steel but in a more traditional kind of way :) .

Carl.

drcarlos":34sqqjiq said:
Back then I rode and raced a Rockhopper Comp, with XT Cooks and Campag bits and only 2 chainrings which I built myself. Frame wise it was similar to the Clockwork but I would have had the Explosif over the Prestige as Oranges really have never done anything for me.
I did ride a Clockwork BITD but my Rockhopper ran rings around it (well it would at 25lbs) as mine was tricked and the Clockwork factory LX IIRC.
I like the Splatter Explosif and the Columbus Max one, plus respect Kona for going for XC Pro on the top bike rather than the obvious XT.
So Kona all the way for me but I still like my Brit steel but in a more traditional kind of way :) .

Carl.

cant argue with that .......and thanks for giving your sorted reasoning too... :cool:

Neil":1z3pkl4h said:
sinnerman":1z3pkl4h said:
Neil":1z3pkl4h said:
BITD, with only the two choices here, I would have bought the Kona.
what made you decide on the kona.......?
Caveat: I've never owned one.

Rode a couple back in the day. And although I've never really been particularly bothered about owning one, I always thought they were well sorted bikes.

I remember reading my first review of one (an Explosif, in around 88 / 89) and it getting a good write up (would have been MBUK, and I'll still have the mag, somewhere, in the loft...) so I always held them in reasonable regard, even if I wouldn't have necessarily bought one with a greater choice available.

top man, and cheers for your thoughts on the topic too......listen if you could find that mag with the review,....that would be awesum and well worth a read........perhaps, if you do stumble across it you could scan it and post it here.....????? I know i would love to read as im sure others would too.....? :shock: :shock: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

drcarlos":39s6rui9 said:

Carl.

That's a interesting point you made Carl regarding the XC Pro, Ive still got the original one fitted to my '94' Explosif and there still going like "Clockwork" :LOL:

In 91 I had the same choice ie Kona, Orange, GT & spesh. My mate had a clockwork & I felt it was a bit to cramted for me & a little twitchy. The Kona Cinder Cone was in price range (£600 max) had a test ride on a 19" framed bike & fell in love with it as it just felt so right plus I loved the Cinder gold so bought it & raced it many a time :D This 91 Kona CC is still my only bike as i've never bought another one & it still feels right :cool: Will over the next year build myself another bike so the CC can have an easier life in it's old age & talking of old age I think it's time I had some sus forks as i've rode rigid for so long

sweety":sh997i55 said:
In 91 I had the same choice ie Kona, Orange, GT & spesh. My mate had a clockwork & I felt it was a bit to cramted for me & a little twitchy. The Kona Cinder Cone was in price range (£600 max) had a test ride on a 19" framed bike & fell in love with it as it just felt so right plus I loved the Cinder gold so bought it & raced it many a time :D This 91 Kona CC is still my only bike as i've never bought another one & it still feels right :cool: Will over the next year build myself another bike so the CC can have an easier life in it's old age & talking of old age I think it's time I had some sus forks as i've rode rigid for so long

thats just cool........ :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Reason I went for the Dave Yates was the long top-tube. Orange would have been too cramped or I'd have had to have a very diddy seatpost.

With a budget of a grand, I'd go for a £500 Kona and a £500 Orange :D
The Orange MUST be in orange and white though.
Contrast is the spice of life.
Have had both, liked both hence above comment.

Back