weapon of choice....kona or orange..what was better...?

Cor blimey. We only get to choose between an Orange or a Kona?? Harsh.

Would have to be a Kona. I have never liked the way Oranges ride- tried them BITD and more recently. Konas have a decent ride and look nicer too.

Kona.

FluffyChicken":3rodfefs said:
If the team over here where riding and demoing them in 1991 season then there will have been an importer, no point advertising what's not available.
They where certainly in the shops for the 1992 season, and from memory in there before that year all at my LBS. They are still open so they may remember when they got them.
I think oldned knows the chap from the old importers
Anyways, on with other peoples preference. (Still Orange here ;)

mmmm your right its all about preference, we will move on.....!!!! i did the race circuit at this time nationally though, and i certainly dont remember seeing rocky prior to 92, or certainly not on shop floors, anyway, but with this said, i suppose it is possible that a small number did, and i was looking the other way, i must confess i wish i had seen them, ive been riding rockys now for the last ten years at least, and they are fantastic builds....!!!! Ask oldned for me would you, im very keen to know now, i know the current importer, and also the previous importer personally, but i dont know that far back.....? ill ask darren next time i see him, maybe he could enlighten us....!!!!!!!!!

and again good luck with getting hold of that orange prestige, my fingers are crossed.!!!!! :D

Dr S":ott8v6iy said:
Cor blimey. We only get to choose between an Orange or a Kona?? Harsh.

Would have to be a Kona. I have never liked the way Oranges ride- tried them BITD and more recently. Konas have a decent ride and look nicer too.

Kona.

yeh only due to tha fact that i chose the kona all those years ago, but always had a need to know how the orange rode in comparison, and i was intregued at others opinions, neither were handbuilt like the fats etc, all mass produced in the far east, but both were landmark brands for me and im sure a lot of others too....!!!!

for me back then i too chose the kona, liked the look too , and certainly the geometry got me hooked, it got me into steel first, and then onto my rocky mountain decade.....via bontrager, and indy fab etc, as years progressed....!!!!! never tried a fat though you seem pretty hooked.....any good...?

I bought my Explosif new in '94' and Ive still got and I'll never sell it EVER!
Ive raced, toured, commuted on it, I love the riding position long and stretched out room to breath, it climbs like a goat, does technical like a ballerina, comfortable ride yet stiff when you hot up the pace, steep top tube to let you do trials sty-lee, its light, its strong, Ive had a few steel Kona's and Ive got a '91' Explosif project on the go, bottom line is I love early steel Kona's.
Ive never owned but Ive ridden a few Orange's they felt like good bikes but nothing memorable, not as comfy as the Kona, possibly that wishbone rear end, I like the look of them, tidy looking cable routing I thought. Would I own one I dont know, the fact that I hesitate maybe speaks for its self.

The Kona ;)

RobMac":2slo2d46 said:
I bought my Explosif new in '94' and Ive still got and I'll never sell it EVER!
Ive raced, toured, commuted on it, I love the riding position long and stretched out room to breath, it climbs like a goat, does technical like a ballerina, comfortable ride yet stiff when you hot up the pace, steep top tube to let you do trials sty-lee, its light, its strong, Ive had a few steel Kona's and Ive got a '91' Explosif project on the go, bottom line is I love early steel Kona's.
Ive never owned but Ive ridden a few Orange's they felt like good bikes but nothing memorable, not as comfy as the Kona, possibly that wishbone rear end, I like the look of them, tidy looking cable routing I thought. Would I own one I dont know, the fact that I hesitate maybe speaks for its self.

The Kona ;)

A fantastic well expained reason .........excellent... :cool:

TBG vs CITRUS

OK, here is my 2 pence worth:

I have owned both brands and at the time made an informed decision about buying the bike. If i really had to choose just one now it would have to be ............ neither.

There is no way you can separate the 2, they both did different things in different ways. The 'KONA' brand came from good solid backgrounds; it had the builders of legends and the history already in place.
The 'ORANGE' brand came almost from nowhere, they did whatever they could do to get sponsorship initially as Tushingham, then when they started to get a toehold they branched off and took a chance.

As for 'Yoofs bike' this was the brand that brought honest affordable frame design to the masses, the first I think to market the slopping top-tube through main stream shops, not custom made efforts.
As for 'Garden shed operation', they where entrepreneurs that where forging new ways and design/paint by a UK builder, they have forged history in what they have done.

So I couldn't possibly choose just one, maybe next I’ll do a hybrid Kona/Orange mix see how that turns out.

That is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it.

:xmas-cool:

I was very new to the sport back in 1991 and so I did look at a wide range of bikes available both in magazines and shops.
But for me now it'd have to be an Orange, nothing against Kona's, I do have a couple of non vintage ones lurking somewhere?
I suppose I should add those to my signature list?

Re: TBG vs CITRUS

maverick":3sdjny3g said:
OK, here is my 2 pence worth:

I have owned both brands and at the time made an informed decision about buying the bike. If i really had to choose just one now it would have to be ............ neither.

There is no way you can separate the 2, they both did different things in different ways. The 'KONA' brand came from good solid backgrounds; it had the builders of legends and the history already in place.
The 'ORANGE' brand came almost from nowhere, they did whatever they could do to get sponsorship initially as Tushingham, then when they started to get a toehold they branched off and took a chance.

As for 'Yoofs bike' this was the brand that brought honest affordable frame design to the masses, the first I think to market the slopping top-tube through main stream shops, not custom made efforts.
As for 'Garden shed operation', they where entrepreneurs that where forging new ways and design/paint by a UK builder, they have forged history in what they have done.

So I couldn't possibly choose just one, maybe next I’ll do a hybrid Kona/Orange mix see how that turns out.

That is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it.

:xmas-cool:

What can i say to that............!!!!!!!! apart from you are in my opinion 100% correct, on the summing up of these two brands....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i like your style maverick.................... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

But no way you aint getting out of it that easy you cant make a alien hybrid from the two.........you have two consider and choose.........!!!!!!!! And remember you have a grand or less.....!!!!

Neil":2r435w0o said:
BITD, with only the two choices here, I would have bought the Kona.

what made you decide on the kona.......?

Back