weapon of choice....kona or orange..what was better...?

I dreamt of a £1000 budget in 1990/91 :eek:

Instead I slowly upgraded a cheapo Falcon with one piece of XT each month while lusting after my mates Lava Dome...so I guess if I had the money I would have bought a Kona, although I was partial to a bit of Saracen IIRC.

Oddly though, in 1994 I bought a P7.

I nearly bought an Orange in 93. I bought a Dave Yates instead.

I have never nearly bought a Kona - but I have ridden a few and none of them impressed.

reply to fluffy chicken

FluffyChicken":e0pjyoy7 said:
I'd have gone neither. I would have gone for the better of them all the Rocky Mountain :LOL:

But the Orange* would have to be it as it's halfway to being a Rocky.
Kona are just common yoofs bike with no adventure.

Talking brand here, the Clockwork was cheap, and the Prestige is the comparison.

Fluffy, i too am a diehard rocky fan.....and i also ride rocky, but the question was "what brand----ORANGE OR KONA", i also didnt stipulate a model, only a budget.....lol...!!!!!! the pics supplied are only for illustration as i stated!!!!!!

and i am really "surprised" at your comment, "ORANGE IS HALFWEAY TO BEING A ROCKY", im very confused at this statement especially from you with your knowledge of the archives, Paul Brodie worked for kona and rocky, and the similarities in the early days that we are talking about are phenomenally close.........can you elaberate on this statement please, i take it you arnt meaning design or manufacture, but......???????

And i appriciate, the clockwork was the entry level model once the brand was launched, but it was there first production model.....but as i stated the pics were only for illustration purposes....mainly to show the different directions the companies took when it came to frame geometry, you are right a correct comparison would be the prestige model....and in the real world the cindercone would be a fairer comparison to the clockwork....with this said both brands frames were made in the far east.

P.S were rocky even inmported in to the uk in 90....?

Attachments

• 2021.JPG
    2021.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,218
legrandefromage":16aikqx3 said:
In my case:

A decent Kona rode better than the Oranges but you had to spend more to get it that way.

I've owned 4 versions of both and am not about to replace either, either...

L.G.F........did you have transmission problems on the suntour gear change bitd too....???

jimo746":jlxz7dq8 said:
What a question! A tough one I indeed, but one I also made early 90's.
I went for Orange (Prestige) ,keeping it UK with proper geometry and a class steel frame.
My friend went for Kona (Explosif), the more "yoof" option iirc what with it's different top tube angle, but still steel.

I was always happy with the orange, but there wasn't a day went by without me wishing I could have the Kona as well.

Dude i had the kona, and always wondered about the orange....!!!!!!

both steel.........though..!!!

top man

longun":3g9rcab7 said:
kona for me,the angles and appearance were so much nicer.i had a lot of time for orange but tbh kona were also cooler.

I agree , for me back then, when orange and others were using curved bladed forks and straight top tubes, there was sumthing that said a little more "hardcore...perhaps..?" about the straight blade forks and sloping top tube.........very much the typical canadian look being produced in north america at this time, the other obvious brand in terms of this geometry was obviously Rocky mountain, it wasnt too long before a lot more were using sloping tope tubes etc, i felt at the time it was very suited to our great british terrain.....!!!!

Re: reply to fluffy chicken

sinnerman":3w11xnia said:

90/91 your question was ;)
I have a 1991 Altitude or at least presumed as RM have never confirmed its build date, as, well you can never get hold of them over here. (and they can apparently date the Altitude)
It's was one of 7 in the country back then. The team would have had most, if not all, of them.
I think others have had 1990 model BiTD

and the Explosif was way under £1000 and so were the Oranges.

Also you're thinking way to much.
The Orange has Syncros stem and PowerLite forks. The stuff of Rockies, not Oranges in 1990 ;)

Still like I said, out of the two it would be the Orange.
I've never cared much or liked the Kona's and really not a fan of the splatter look.

The Explosif was the better frame tubing though.

Re: reply to fluffy chicken

FluffyChicken":2vda45ka said:
sinnerman":2vda45ka said:

90/91 your question was ;)
I have a 1991 Altitude or at least presumed as RM have never confirmed it build date as well you can never get hold of them over here. (and they can apparently date the Altitude)
It's was one of 7 in the country back then. The team would have had most if not all of them.
I think others have had 1990 model BiTD

and the Explosif was way under £1000 and so was the Oranges.

Also you're thinking way to much.
The orange has Syncros stem and PowerLite forks. The stuff of Rockies, not Oranges in 1990 ;)

Still like I said, out of the two it would be the Orange.
I've never cared much or liked the Kona's and really not a fan of the splatter look.

The Explosif was the better frame material though.

Fluffy thanks for responding, i think you have looked at the pics too much, as i said, i was attempting to show the brands that was all, and im sure there are plenty of early stunning rockies on here, yours and that awesum example of woodys for example, but im pretty sure you didnt buy it new here in the uk in 1990/91. i would love to know if they were imported though, my memory is hazy in my old age, i dont remember them being availiable here on shop floors in the uk, untill a couple of years after, and then only in small quantities, perhaps between us we could perhaps date this....???????? it does sound like you have a rare model too, thats awesum :cool: .......how did you come by it...????? would love to see it too, (as you can tell a real rocky fan). :cool:

As for price, my explosif cost me £890, with a pair of upgraded tyres, an upgraded selle italia rolls saddle, and both rims, replaced with mavic ma40mb rims,rebuilt and laced to original hubs, (i kept the ukai rims for spare which im using now), (wish i had upgraded the rear hub now in hindsite and replaced with a shimano freehub and cassette.)

And im not thinking two much really, the above two bikes used for illustration, i built, and as you can see," i too " was heavily influenced by the canadians.......always had a love for syncros, hence my use and patience in finding and refinishing te syncros powerlite forks, and the stem choice...!!! and those items were available in the uk at the time i just couldnt stretch to the expense back in the day at age 16.... :cry:

As for the colour my first, memory of this brand was when lester and steve took the pre-production sample out of the boot of there estate, and seeing it for the first time, in its neon orange race jacket.........wow it really bowled me over........i always loved the first edition team colours..!!!

I do think we r on the same page......im keeping my fingers crossed you win the frame on ebay, i have an unfinished prestige model myself, its been stuck in a box now for about 8 mnths, i think it will get built in the middle of next year now, way too much going on this year to even think about getting around to it!!! have you thought about colours etc, or are you going to stay with the black...?

If the team over here where riding and demoing them in 1991 season then there will have been an importer, no point advertising what's not available.
They where certainly in the shops for the 1992 season, and from memory in there before that year all at my LBS. They are still open so they may remember when they got them.
I think oldned knows the chap from the old importers
Anyways, on with other peoples preference. (Still Orange here ;)

ooooooh tricky - but I do like (prefer) the look of Kona geometry :oops:
.......or do I?

Early 90's, although none of this privateer racer nonsense, I would probably have plumped for a LaveDome/CinderCone/Explosif - as it was I had a Peugeot Puma :LOL:

However, FF 20years and I have these:

crerannov10050.jpg

bianchi070.jpg

DSCN2339.jpg

.....plus a few frames....

DSCF2336.jpg

bianchi359.jpg

DSCN2019.jpg

canny decide which is best though.........

Back