weapon of choice....kona or orange..what was better...?

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
So the time is 1990/1......you are a budding privateer racer, you have a budget, of under £1000, and you need to buy a complete bike.....there are lots to choose from............but you are torn between TBG Kona, and Orange.....which would you choose, perhaps you did choose, so which brand is better....?...and why.....?..which rides better.....?....... its an age old debate, is it even possible too choose....????????

Pics are for illustration purposes, but you get the idea.....

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127707

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125990

Attachments

• legendary.jpg
    legendary.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,610
  • legend.....jpg
    legend.....jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,604
I'd have gone Orange, that Clockwork is stunning :cool: but then I'm only just being educated to the early Konas thanks to this site.

As a teen I went from a Lava Dome (cracked top tube) to a P7. Not quite the same transition - and two similar but completely different bikes. Still got the P7, but really lust after an identical '96 Lave Dome to add to the collection.

I'd have gone neither. I would have gone for the better of them all the Rocky Mountain :LOL:

But the Orange* would have to be it as it's halfway to being a Rocky.
Kona are just common yoofs bike with no adventure.

Talking brand here, the Clockwork was cheap, and the Prestige is the comparison.

In my case:

A decent Kona rode better than the Oranges but you had to spend more to get it that way.

I've owned 4 versions of both and am not about to replace either, either...

kona for me,the angles and appearance were so much nicer.i had a lot of time for orange but tbh kona were also cooler.

What a question! A tough one I indeed, but one I also made early 90's.
I went for Orange (Prestige) ,keeping it UK with proper geometry and a class steel frame.
My friend went for Kona (Explosif), the more "yoof" option iirc what with it's different top tube angle, but still steel.

I was always happy with the orange, but there wasn't a day went by without me wishing I could have the Kona as well.

had a few of both.

Kona, particularly kila and explosif all the way for me.

Just love the way they ride.

FluffyChicken":3csi493s said:
I'd have gone neither. I would have gone for the better of them all the Rocky Mountain :LOL:

Yeah me too. Dunno why, guess the Konas always seemed expensive for the kit you got, and I never really trusted Orange; seemed a bit too much like a garden shed operation.

Having owned neither, I can't comment on a 'which is best' type basis (depends what you're looking for, I guess).

But back in the very early nineties I didn't care much for Konas, so the Orange woulda got my vote at the drop of a hat... and based on that picture above too, I still would...

Tim Davies did alright for himself on the Clockwork, didn't he.... ;) :cool:

Back