Here we go again

Dr S":2949arii said:
I've spoken to Geoff Apps and he has confirmed that he is working with Brant and designing this frame. This puts a different light on things. Provided that they make a good job of building it and Geoff gets the credit and hopefully a big bag of royalties then all is cool and groovy. His bikes really deserve to get some success after all these years.

Si

coo. lets see how it looks when its done. i woudl love a highpath but cant affort the perfect specimin that on sale on this forum. so that could be a decent compromise if done well.

legrandefromage":t7v4jdmm said:
'English Country Gentlemans off road bike'

I want copyright on that... :)

What I want to know is - will there be a tandem version?
_47134732_001009862-1.jpg

my bets one a cromo 4130 version with filttings for shimano or sram gear hub or hub brakes. that would be good.

Dr S":2wph6305 said:
I've spoken to Geoff Apps and he has confirmed that he is working with Brant and designing this frame. This puts a different light on things. Provided that they make a good job of building it and Geoff gets the credit and hopefully a big bag of royalties then all is cool and groovy. His bikes really deserve to get some success after all these years.

Si

The way to do it would be build it in boggo 4130 for the mass produced frames, leaving steels like 853 for the low volume handmade bikes.
Would generate respect here for bringing a very different design to the masses with the abilty to strive to own a halo model.

Carl.

The way to do it would be build it in boggo 4130 for the mass produced frames, leaving steels like 853 for the low volume handmade bikes.

"Mass produced" frames are handmade. Only very, very cheap BSOs aren't made by hand.

MikeD":1h0xi2is said:

"Mass produced" frames are handmade. Only very, very cheap BSOs aren't made by hand.

Figure of speech ;) .

Carl.

Dr S":2grugclz said:
i just can't stand the hype, how people blindly convince themselves that his bikes are great. They are what they are, cheap and cheerful. Nothing wrong there if you appreciate thats what they are. But when you start cashing in on the current Retro Cool* without respecting the quality and craftsmanship of those original designs to make a fast buck then it gets a little close to the bone.
So you're on a mission to save everyone from marketing hype of Brant Richards? I take it that you understand they are not actual retro bikes, and that the target market is probably not the retro community... so I don't understand why you even care whether or not the quality is the same.

Dr S":2grugclz said:
Ha ha! An ironic twist which means that if it doesn't meet your specific criteria...

"But when you start cashing in on the current Retro Cool* without respecting the quality and craftsmanship of those original designs to make a fast buck then it gets a little close to the bone."

...then I trust you'll give Geoff Apps the same treatment as you give Brant. Or if it does meet your criteria then I trust you'll praise both Geoff AND Brant for doing a good job. But I wouldn't be surprised if you sit on the fence so you don't have to make that decision.

Looking forward to seeing the new Highpath :D

manitou916":2nomha4w said:
Dr S":2nomha4w said:
i just can't stand the hype, how people blindly convince themselves that his bikes are great. They are what they are, cheap and cheerful. Nothing wrong there if you appreciate thats what they are. But when you start cashing in on the current Retro Cool* without respecting the quality and craftsmanship of those original designs to make a fast buck then it gets a little close to the bone.

So you're on a mission to save everyone from marketing hype of Brant Richards? I take it that you understand they are not actual retro bikes, and that the target market is probably not the retro community... so I don't understand why you even care whether or not the quality is the same..

Not at all. And well done for missing the point, and for chopping up two seperate posts made at different times to try and have another dig.
In the context of this thread and the threads over the last few days, I'm refering to the plundering of our heritage- firstly the Chancer, and what at the time of the post appeared to be the Cleland which in case you don't remember is a 30+ year old design= Retro. I'm not alone in thinking this bike would appeal to older riders- Lord Brant said as much in his sermon, and I'm not the only poster in this thread that thinks so either. I can't see this bike appealing to yoofs hanging around the local jump spot with 180mm forks and baggy pants, do you?
Until Mike posted, as far as anyone knew, this was another attempt by a marketing guy to cash in on someone elses legacy. Hence my latter post- a confirmation of Mikes news and a softening of my view..

Finally, I care about quality because such a fine bike deserves to be built well and not lashed up, unlike Mr Richards past efforts.

Dr S":2nomha4w said:

Ha ha! An ironic twist which means that if it doesn't meet your specific criteria...

"But when you start cashing in on the current Retro Cool* without respecting the quality and craftsmanship of those original designs to make a fast buck then it gets a little close to the bone."

...then I trust you'll give Geoff Apps the same treatment as you give Brant. Or if it does meet your criteria then I trust you'll praise both Geoff AND Brant for doing a good job. But I wouldn't be surprised if you sit on the fence so you don't have to make that decision.

If Geoff is finally going to get his designs to the masses then, yes, cool, go for it. He is the original designer and has spent much of his life trying to get it accepted. He has a right to cash in, its his bike. He is not just plundering someone elses design. So what is your point exactly? Again, if the design is kept pure and a reasonable job is done of making it then yes, both should get credit. Its not my criteria, everyone wants to see good quality surely?

Looking forward to seeing the new Highpath :D

Me too. I wish them every success. ;)

Latest posts

Back