BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Ok its a sad day,
:cry:
The manitou has a cracked headtube making it unrideable, I have read this happens to all manitou frames, its just a matter of time.
Its gone from the back of the tube and followed the line of the welds underneath, its not totally gone but after reading other forums on the matter there seem to be conflicting thoughts on repair jobs.

Q is ........... Can it be repaired or should it be stripped for wall art :?:

i have seen a few pictures of repaired frames, and some of them are awful

just blobs of weld above , over and below the crack , i suppose it depends on the welder

not sure on how strong the frame would be after though

re welding aluminiun should be done very carefully , but yes it can be done .

It is up to you whether you want to use it or not

Personnaly , i would , I dont like bikes which hangs on the wall .

Terrible, Lee

I recently used alloy reducer cups for my Pana. Can' t you use such reducers and weld or glue (!) them into the frame? :idea: Maybe you should have a pair made with looong inserts.

Good luck

You cant just re weld on top of the crack , the welder needs to open it and then weld it .

I have read that you cant re-weld heat treated tubes as well :?: is that true :?:

As far as headtube shims go, even if it did work I'm not sure if the headtube welds would hold......... :?

SLIM":w97yt5jx said:
i have seen a few pictures of repaired frames, and some of them are awful

just blobs of weld above , over and below the crack , i suppose it depends on the welder

not sure on how strong the frame would be after though

Looks like acne tho .................

headtube_repair.JPG

retrobikeguy":18y8fgle said:
I have read that you cant re-weld heat treated tubes as well :?: is that true :?:

As far as headtube shims go, even if it did work I'm not sure if the headtube welds would hold......... :?

Okay, I reread your 1st post again. The Manitous I had seen devoleped a crack solely in the headends. Bummer your welds are affected too.

Back